Author Topic: I think I messed up???  (Read 2369 times)

Offline lex82

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Re: I think I messed up???
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »
In general, there is no need to transfer an ale to a secondary.
There is very little fermentation going on in a secondary fementor.
You can safely leave a beer on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks, probably longer.
Since you removed the beer from the yeast before it was completed, you are stuck.
You could make a one liter starter and pitch the whole thing once the starter is actively fermenting.
Its difficult to restart fermentation under these circumstances.

I think it was complete, I've been getting a steady gravity at 1.030 for over a week. Is making the starter the only way to try to restart fermentation?

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
Can you give us some timelines?
Like date of first yeast pitch, date of second pitch, date of transfer to "2nd fermentor" (in my earlier post I took that to mean secondary fermentor, maybe that's not what you meant), date(s) when you got a steady specific gravity of 1.03.
With some more information, someone may be able to come up with some suggestions.
BJCP Certified

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
Can you give us your recipe too? It is possible that it could just be done, depending on the fermentability of the wort and/or the attenuation capability of the yeast.
Mark Gres

Offline lex82

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »
Can you give us your recipe too? It is possible that it could just be done, depending on the fermentability of the wort and/or the attenuation capability of the yeast.
your exactly right, that is what my LHBS said. I altered a kit recipe and I was going by the original recipe's stats. Thanks for everyone's help and willing to fix what I thought was a problem.