Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Charlie's gluten free recipe....  (Read 9123 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Charlie's gluten free recipe....
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 11:48:08 am »
Will do..... still trying to get caught up on "regular" beers....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 06:00:01 pm »
Well....... I brewed another batch, this time with fresh yeast and the Fermex pitched perfectly as per instructions. Unfortunately the test this afternoon showed a "high positive". Very frustrating. The good news is that I stumbled upon a lively discussion on the subject here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/

I think I will have to rethink the MO and abandon the "real beer gluten removed" concept....

Charlie, if you're listening, please weigh in.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 06:21:11 pm »
Hold on, there may be hope. On brew day I made 10g, one bucket to be gf the other normal. There was some confusion as to which was which when it came to labeling them..... I have ordered more tests....

Offline oddtodd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 06:55:28 pm »
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this topic really interests me. Just wanted to share some results and see if anyone else had gotten any.

I made a molasses porter about 5 weeks ago, split the wort into two fermenters, one of which got Clarity Ferm and the other did not. I went through the bottling process and about 2 weeks after bottling I had some samples tested at the same lab Papazian used. (Not that I don't trust him, I just have to see it for myself.) The results were kind of surprising to me. The porter with the Clarity-Ferm had a gluten content of < 5ppm, or basically undetectable. The control porter (without Clarity-Ferm) had a gluten content of 14.2 ppm. I expected a much higher gluten content in the control porter. (On a side note, when you have samples tested, it is important to specify you want a barley gluten test, which I did. Apparently barley gluten may report lower concentrations when wheat gluten standards are used.)

I guess the good news is that the Clarity-Ferm seems to effectively reduce the gluten content. I bet the actual content is quite nearly zero. No difference in taste or anything between the two samples either.

One thing I should mention however, I still brew with extracts and specialty grain (although I still steeped about a pound and a half of barley for 45 minutes in this recipe). Upon further research it seems that the process of making extracts may remove a good deal of the gluten. My results may not prove anything for all grain brewers, but for those looking for a way to make a barley based gluten free beer, extract and Clarity Ferm seems successful. I am not sure if Papazian has had a sample of his Slithy Tove tested without Clarity Ferm. Anyone done an all-grain batch and gotten results?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 09:42:04 pm »
Good bump.  I have a friend who turned up gluten intolerant a few months ago and she's been bummed about it.  At our local grocery store I found some sorghum beers and showed her where to find them.  Today at the gym she told me one of them is really very good so I make try to brew her a batch.  Has anybody all grained a sorghum beer or have any experience at all with sorghum?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 09:02:04 am »
Good bump.  I have a friend who turned up gluten intolerant a few months ago and she's been bummed about it.  At our local grocery store I found some sorghum beers and showed her where to find them.  Today at the gym she told me one of them is really very good so I make try to brew her a batch.  Has anybody all grained a sorghum beer or have any experience at all with sorghum?

I made a sorghum beer, using the following recipe:

6.6# White Sorghum Extract (from Midwest Supplies)
1# Dark Candi Sugar
4 oz Molasses
1.5 oz Horizon - 45 min
.5 oz Horizon - 20 min
1 oz Fuggles - 20 min
1 oz Cascade - 5 min
White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast

Initially, it tasted like pink grapefruit...Not in a good way, either.
It was quite over-powering & not easy to drink.
After aging it for a couple months, it became drinkable.
My friend that can't have gluten said it was great.
I thought it was okay, in comparison to the commercial gluten-free beers.
IMHO Bards & Redbridge are both disgusting crap.
My recipe is very close in flavor to Redbridge, but my friend & I think it is superior.

I'm currently experimenting with Clarity Ferm & my friend has volunteered to be a test subject.