Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: European Homebrewers Association  (Read 5584 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: European Homebrewers Association
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 05:14:23 am »
One thing that would be REALLY great to do: create video and text how-tos for homebrewing basics in different languages and make them super accessible. alikocho can do english english, I can do french (sorta), theoman can do dutch (?), etc. That'd be a great thing to have all in one place I think.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 05:34:59 am »
Well if anything I think this is actually a "good" thing. As an American, I really believe in the whole e pluribus unum thing. Each state has its own rules and regulations, motto, flower, bird, etc, and people from one state identify with each other. But there's still a unity. the EHA would basically create links between those communities. There's nothing there right now, and certainly nothing -online- that shows you which club is closest to you. In France (and Francophone Europe, it seems) there's Brassage Amateur, which is basically a forum. They're super active and there are a lot of nice guys there, but I don't think they currently do much exchange between the other clubs in Europe, and I think that's sad. Plus, it seems that for a lot of the 'competitions' in Europe they don't even do judging according to the BJCP guidelines. Lots of room for improvement. Also, it's incredibly difficult to find a good HBSS, and that could be a good function of the EHA as well. Just a thought.

Well said and I agree on all points (almost - but we can argue judging guidelines later). I especially agree about the HBSS. That's something to work for, even if it's just resource pooling.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 05:38:57 am »
Open Nederlands  Championship (ONK)
http://www.amervallei.nl/menuonk2010

------------------------------------------------------------
The biggest problem being language. I've attempted to connect with local homebrewers (hobby brouwers, as the call themselves in these parts) with very minimal success.

Walter runs this forum, nice guy and lives near Brussels, speaks better english then me :D
http://vlaamsehobbybrouwers.yourbb.be/

Do you know him? I actually think he lives really near me. I've introduced myself on that forum (in Dutch) and never heard a response.

Offline anthayes

• 1st Kit
    • HayesenBrau
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 02:38:30 pm »
The first European BJCP exam is being held on 29 January in London, sponsored by the London Amateur Brewers, a CBA affiliate and a member of the London Brewers Alliance.

http://londonamateurbrewers.wordpress.com/

Ant Hayes
Tonbridge, Kent
Soek jy die oerkroeg se bier

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 03:23:46 pm »
I'll send this info to my nephew in France, he's homebrewed a batch with me and is very interested.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 11:22:04 pm »
Are there any existing clubs that would be upset by the formation of a EU-wide group? We should make sure that we let people know that nobody's taking over their baby, so to speak.
For what it's worth, we set up a Washington homebrewers association to organize events in our state, get some legislation passed, organize state-wide awards, etc.  We were also concerned about stepping on toes, but it turned out to be ok.  We basically made it clear that we were a resource for clubs, not a club ourselves.  Each club gets a vote, that kind of thing.  Our webpage has stuff about how to get in contact with clubs in your area, find homebrew supplies, etc.
http://www.wahomebrewers.org/
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 11:09:37 am »
Are there any existing clubs that would be upset by the formation of a EU-wide group? We should make sure that we let people know that nobody's taking over their baby, so to speak.
For what it's worth, we set up a Washington homebrewers association to organize events in our state, get some legislation passed, organize state-wide awards, etc.  We were also concerned about stepping on toes, but it turned out to be ok.  We basically made it clear that we were a resource for clubs, not a club ourselves.  Each club gets a vote, that kind of thing.  Our webpage has stuff about how to get in contact with clubs in your area, find homebrew supplies, etc.
http://www.wahomebrewers.org/

On this, I'm happy to get in touch with clubs in the UK and see where things lie. Who knows, we may even find more people who want to help get this off the ground...
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 11:10:56 am »
Ant Hayes, who posts here sometimes, could be a valuable contact for you.  Try sending him a PM.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 11:23:09 am »
Ant Hayes, who posts here sometimes, could be a valuable contact for you.  Try sending him a PM.

Even better, I'll have a chat with him next week, as he's organised the BJCP exam I'll be taking.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 11:40:12 am »

Even better, I'll have a chat with him next week, as he's organised the BJCP exam I'll be taking.

Great!  Say hi for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell