Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 21 A's "Back in black"  (Read 3506 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
21 A's "Back in black"
« on: August 05, 2010, 09:32:16 am »
Anybody had this yet?  I havn't seen it up here in Washington yet. 

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: 21 A's "Back in black"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:38:16 am »
Funny you should ask...just got this on Google alert today ( although I think you are in WA State )

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/39549/beerspotter-21st-amendment-back-in-black-a-black-ipa-spotted

I haven't had it yet, but I think it is available in Mass.  Just haven't made the trip yet.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 02:05:12 pm »
Funny you should ask...just got this on Google alert today ( although I think you are in WA State )

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/39549/beerspotter-21st-amendment-back-in-black-a-black-ipa-spotted

I haven't had it yet, but I think it is available in Mass.  Just haven't made the trip yet.

Thanks dude.  yea, I'm in the "other" Washington.  I did call my local brew-pub and their gonna call the distributer to see if they can get it.  They have the best bottle (can) store around. 

Offline doc_k

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:28:13 am »
I had a can of it last night  :)

It was pretty good, very coffee/malty like, which cut down on the hop presence a bit... but still crisp and bitter.  If you drink it expecting an IPA you'll likely be disappointed.   As an example of the new style, I'd drink it again, and again...

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 07:40:14 pm »
OK, I got a case of this today.  Had to special order though the local distributors big warehouse out of town.  I'm not all that impressed.  I like my own of course, but dechuttes CDA is good, as is Iron Horses, and the Widmer w10 was tasty.

It's good and all.  But I expected more.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:54:39 pm »
Not trying to start a thread drift, but my favorite "accidental" Black IPA remains the time when I blended a Homebrewed BDS with a Homebrewed IPA.  Indescribably good!  A cacophonous, yet harmonious, blend of flavors and aromas.  A "Times Square"-like zymurgological experience.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 10:42:21 pm »
OK, I got a case of this today.  Had to special order though the local distributors big warehouse out of town.  I'm not all that impressed.  I like my own of course, but dechuttes CDA is good, as is Iron Horses, and the Widmer w10 was tasty.

It's good and all.  But I expected more.

I thought it was unbalanced and won't have it again. Just not well-tuned.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline aetoole

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 05:16:12 pm »
I just had this and thought it was awful. It was greasy and metallic tasting and pretty much undrinkable. It's kinda put me off this brewery a bit. And I found their watermelon brew and Monk's Blood were just OK. But maybe I've just gotten unlucky w/ the couple of 6's that I've bought here on the East Coast since I recently enjoyed their "Hop Crisis" on tap and it was truly fantastic but I will not be buying the B in B or the others again. Be curious to hear what others think.

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 06:40:22 pm »
And I found their watermelon brew and Monk's Blood were just OK.

Ugh...the watermelon beer.  Like drinking a wheat beer with a jolly rancher in your mouth.  I'll not be having that one again.
John Childs

Offline aetoole

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 04:18:53 pm »
Just had BinB on tap at my local favorite watering hole in Baltimore. It was very very tasty. I'm still horribly disappointed in the same product in cans. I still wish I could have mailed them back the nasty 1/2 case that I dumped down the drain; I tried several cans and the taste of metal was overwhelming and the beer had an oily consistency and taste as well. I've had this same experience with their IPA, watermelon and BinB. The Monk's Blood in cans was just OK but I've never had it on tap. Hop Crisis on tap was sublime...Can anyone explain why their beer is wonderful on tap but undrinkable from the can?