Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extreme Foaming on Pour - Not Gusher  (Read 2002 times)

Offline poohdad

• 1st Kit
Extreme Foaming on Pour - Not Gusher
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:14:23 am »
I brew extract w/specialty grains and bottle.  In a recent batch of Cascadian Dark I had an OG of 1.071 and FG 1.013.  It was in Primary 14 days-Secondary 10 days.  I used only 3 oz of priming sugar at bottling.  It's been in the bottle right at 2 months.  When I open the bottle I get the normal spritz sound...no gushing, no foaming, no action.....UNTIL I begin to pour into the glass.  Then I get excessive foaming that requires great patience to get 12 oz into a pint glass.  It is definately over-carbonated in mouthfeel, as well.  Does this sound like an infection/sanitation issue...or are there other components I should consider?

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Extreme Foaming on Pour - Not Gusher
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:28:18 am »
You can try cooling it down this will help with the foam a little bit.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:54:34 am »
Drink'em up!

Could be an infection. Pour a bottle and let it sit overnight somewhere warm to out-gas. Then measure your gravity, and if it is below 1.013 you might very well have an infection.

If it tastes ok then maybe prying up a prong on the cap of each bottle and letting some of the gas vent out might help. Then you can tighten them back up.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 01:25:11 pm »
Its possible you didn't account for the amount of gas still dissolved in the beer after fermentation.  Did you use the tastybrew calculator?  It has a place to enter the ferm temp.  In this cool weather the beer can very well keep almost a volume of CO2, that cuts the amount of sugar needed in half for an average carb level.

When I overcarbonate I'll pour it into a pitcher first, then when the head subsides I'll pour into my glass.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 01:36:50 pm »
When I overcarbonate I'll pour it into a pitcher first, then when the head subsides I'll pour into my glass.

Great idea!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis