Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carmelizing or scorching extract brews  (Read 2257 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Carmelizing or scorching extract brews
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:56:55 am »
Hello all, this is my first post.  I've learned a lot from reading these forums over the last couple of months.  I recently started my adventure in home brewing (or my addiction) and I have jumped into it with both feet.  I have found my passion.

Anyway, my question is this: I have an electric stove  (not a gas burner) and have been told the direct contact of the element to the brew pot can scorch my brew, leading to off flavors and carmelization.  I am trying to put together all the materials and equipment I need for all grain, including a turkey fryer, but I'm on a very limited budget right now, and have to stick with just extract.  Is there anything I can do to avoid harming the wort in the pot during boil?  I keep the temp down when it reaches the boil point, not on full blast.  I have made several very good beers (honey brown, wheat, weissen bock, and a holiday ale) but I have had to scrub the pot after brewing to remove the little amount of burnt residue each time.  Any tips or suggestions?  Thank you very much.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Carmelizing or scorching extract brews
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:07:20 pm »
I like to mix in extract when the water is lukewarm with the heat off and then bring it to a boil. This appears to reduce/eliminate any scorching that may occur. That being said I'm of the RDWHAHB school. Do full boils if you can don't sweat it if you can't. I cut my brewing teeth on an electric stove.

BTW welcome to the hobby! Passion... OK it's an obsession! ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:08:10 pm »
Thanks Euge, I think that will help, I'll try that tomorrow when I brew my oatmeal stout.  I am a fan of Charlie Papazian, and have three of his books, along with John Palmer, Ray Daniels, and Stan Hieronymus.  RDWHAHB I will! 
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:18:29 pm »
Another technique to try is to kill the heat, mix in the DME or LME, and then bring it back up to a boil.

With an electric stove, you might need to move the pot off the burner, since it will still be hot.

If you're doing a late extract addition, this is a good way to avoid scorching.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton