Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coconut Porter Souring  (Read 1811 times)

Offline jaronson

• 1st Kit
Coconut Porter Souring
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:29:16 pm »
I am writing as I have made a coconut porter a couple of times now and I keep getting sour notes after I add the coconut to the secondary.   I tasted the porter before I added the coconut and it was fine.  I then toasted the coconut before I added it to the secondary

I was wondering if anyone might have any idea why this keeps happening?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Coconut Porter Souring
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:48:36 pm »
Maybe it is acrid notes from the toasting process?  You might let it sit out for a day after toasting.

I was thinking it might be the oil going rancid but coconut has mostly saturated fatty acids and as such its pretty stable.

Theres always natural coconut flavored extract, its a pretty good approximation.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:05:15 pm »
You might want to try this method instead.  I had a wonderful Coconut Porter from Flat Earth Brewing at last year's NHC.  They soaked the coconut in vodka for about a week, drained the vodka, mixed it with brown sugar, and boiled the mixture until it was had a gravy-like consistency.  The mixture was added toward the end of the boil. Also use White Labs English Ale 002.  It's a very flocculant yeast that will leave a hint of sweetness that you'll want.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:20:35 pm »
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:24:32 pm »
I am writing as I have made a coconut porter a couple of times now and I keep getting sour notes after I add the coconut to the secondary.   I tasted the porter before I added the coconut and it was fine.  I then toasted the coconut before I added it to the secondary

I was wondering if anyone might have any idea why this keeps happening?
I think the toasting would have sanitized it. How was it stored between toasting and adding it to the  keg?

Have you had anyone else taste it?    ;)

And welcome to the forum! 
Brew on