Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When to add Coconut and what type???  (Read 4866 times)

Offline cycleak

• 1st Kit
  • Aloha and Cheers to Brewing Beer!
When to add Coconut and what type???
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:21 pm »
I'm looking to brew a Coconut Nut Brown Ale.  I was wondering if anyone had an idea about what type and when to add the Coconut.  I was thinking Coconut milk the last 10 minutes of the boil or possibly toasting some coconut and adding to the secondary fermenter for a week.  Or maybe some Coconut extract when bottling????
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:39:37 pm by cycleak »
😎🤙🍺🏝

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: When to add Coconut and what type???
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:43:33 pm »
I would probably toast some coconut and add it to the secondary. I would be afraid the oils in the coconut milk would cause head retention problems.  Coconut extract may also be a possibility.

Happy Brewing,
Brandon

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:43:30 pm »
Yeah, I would skip the coconut milk because of the fat.  A lot of people toast some shredded coconut like chezteth mentions, and you can make your own coconut extract by soaking some fresh shredded coconut in vodka and dosing the bottling bucket.  i would go with multiple ways of adding flavor to add complexity, and wouldn't use just extract.  But that's me.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:56:37 am »
Coconut milk is just the meat pureed with the water from inside the coconut (Plus some other stuff in the canned varieties, but if you make your own, that's all that is in it). That being said I think you would have issues with the fat either way, if there were any issues to be had.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:04:38 pm »
Will coconut start fermenting if added to secondary?

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:23:00 am »
If you use shredded or flaked, you might want to check the ingredients label to see if it has been treated with preservatives.  They sometimes use sulfites or sulfur dioxide, which be toxic to yeast. 
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline drtanglebones

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 11:12:25 am »
I've done the canned milk--good flavor, but does affect head retention.  Better was a combo of flaked coconut at flame-out and then dose with a bit of extract at bottling to tweak it.  Do NOT use imitation coconut extract--that was a wasted 2.5 Gallons!

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 11:49:40 am »
I toast the coconut and add it to the secondary.  Shredded or flaked will work just fine.  I have read Maui brewing adds it in the mash, boil, and secondary.  But, I can't get them to confirm this.  I have heard of people using coconut extract with good success as well.  Use the organic stuff that is free of preservatives.  You can usually find this in the organic section of your local market or some place like Whole Foods.

I would not use coconut milk as this can get rancid.

As for the myth that coconut affects heard retention due to oils, I can state this as false!   If anything, this may help?  I have made my award winning coconut porter 3 times with over 2lbs/10gallons and the head retention that I get on my beers is only exceeded by IPAs and some Belgians.  So, add the coconut without fear of losing head retention.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 11:06:43 pm »
FYI, coconut Jaggery does not yeild much coconut flavor in the end result
from my experience. Even tho the raw sugar tastes much like coconut...
weird...but true.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.