General Category > Ingredients

Maple Syrup questions

(1/3) > >>

I am thinking of trying to brew with some pure maple syrup. I am not sure how much I should add and the best time to add. I am thinking I should add it at flame-out and let it rest for 10-15 minutes to pasteurize it like I would with honey. Also, I am not sure if I should add 8 oz or 16 oz of maple syrup. I want a noticeable but not overpowering Maple flavor in my beer; one that seems to come on in the aftertaste. When I made a honey cream ale from a kit, I used a pound of honey and it wasn't bad on the flavor but it was a little on the sweet side.

I am thinking of making this as a cream ale also, but from all grain using 6 row and some 2 row along with maize. Also not sure about hop additions. Should I just go for bitterness addition only or add a wee amount of flavoring also. I thinking of Mt. Hood hops.

Any advice on this would greatly be appreciated.

with such a light flavored beer, I'd say use .5# and add around 5-10m. Mt Hood is a good choice for bittering... but again with this style if I added anything for flavor I'd prob go with something on the citrusy side and not much. Me personally, I think that those citrus flavors go well with maple but they aren't appropriate in this beer if you're looking to do it to style...

I would add it in the secondary - too much of it will ferment out otherwise, leaving very little maple flavor.

I have a couple questions pertaining to adding it to the secondary:

Will I need to "Pasteurize the maple syrup like I would honey? When I made a honey cream ale, I added the honey at flame out and let it sit for about 10 minutes before chilling the wort. That kind of pasteurized the honey. And since honey is not 100% fermentable I still retained some honey flavor and sweetness.

Will it start a secondary fermentation because maple syrup is 100% fermentable sugar?

--- Quote from: akr71 on January 20, 2011, 11:45:12 AM ---I would add it in the secondary - too much of it will ferment out otherwise, leaving very little maple flavor.

--- End quote ---

SO I am planning a maple barley wine and I was thinking about this when to add issue. When maple syrup is made it is boiled for a LONG time. so I don't imagine more boilding would matter at all. I also wonder if you would lose flavor/aroma to CO2. I don't know just wondering. Given that any remainng flavors are obviously pretty stable would you lose anything to the scrubbing effects of CO2?

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version