Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Canadian 2-Row  (Read 8510 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Canadian 2-Row
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:32:51 pm »
I'm starting to put together a grain bill for my first all-grain batch.  I was checking out my normal on-line supplier for base grains and they list a Canadian 2-row malt.  The goal is an English style Pale Ale, nothing too overly-adventurous for this first attempt.  So my question is, does anyone know how this malt would compare to Marris Otter English 2-row?  Price of the Canadian is about 60% of the Marris Otter.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Canadian 2-Row
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:56:08 am »
That's about how much taste difference there is too.  :D
There's nothing wrong with it, I was getting it for 27 a sack. No reason not to use it.
In a SMASH you may not be happy, In a beer with specialy grains - It should turn out just fine.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:21:55 am »
Its like American 2-row.  Good basic malt but probably not floor malted and lacking some of the character that makes Maris Otter special.  Still, the price makes you try it sometimes.  I'd at least go with the pale malt, thats got a little more kilning which I tend to equate with flavor.  Also I think MO is a pale malt right?

Strange that pale malt is darker than plain, but beer is full of stuff like that.  I guess it was pale back in the day.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:00:34 am »
The two base grains I keep in bulk are 2-row (CMC at the moment) and MO (Crisp).  There's enough of a diffference between the two that I feel it's worthwhile.  British/Irish styles get the MO, american styles get the 2-row.
Joe

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:31:04 am »
The two base grains I keep in bulk are 2-row (CMC at the moment) and MO (Crisp).  There's enough of a diffference between the two that I feel it's worthwhile.  British/Irish styles get the MO, american styles get the 2-row.

Do you not like the MO for American styles?  Or is it mostly a matter of savings?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:39:01 am »
Do you not like the MO for American styles?  Or is it mostly a matter of savings?

I guess it's some of both.  For the American stuff, I'm not really looking for that extra "nutty" "biscuitty" or whatever you call it that the MO has (can you tell why I'm not a BJCP judge? :) ).  And you're right, the lower cost of the plain 2-row is also a plus.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 11:20:30 am »
I'm one who in general doesn't care for MO for American styles.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 11:45:09 am »
I'll be finding out for myself this spring, I bought the MO instead of the domestic grain.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:14:04 pm »
Thanks.  My intent is to add some crystal to the mix for body and flavour.   I'll look for "pale malt" as recommended as well.  Once I get the grain bill figured out, I'll get you to double check my math etc. 

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 06:09:11 am »

I exclusively use Prairie Malt from Biggar, SK, Canada.  If it is good enough for Sierra Nevada, it is good enough for me.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 12:10:44 pm »

I exclusively use Prairie Malt from Biggar, SK, Canada.  If it is good enough for Sierra Nevada, it is good enough for me.

For some reason, I remember reading somewhere that you lived in Canada.  Are you sure that there isn't any patriotism at play? :)

But, since I also live in Canada, I'll openly admit that I'll pick Canadian malt first, all else being equal. 

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 03:50:37 pm »
For some reason, I remember reading somewhere that you lived in Canada.  Are you sure that there isn't any patriotism at play? :)

It is excellent malt and priced at $25/bag.  Simple as that.  The fact the barley is grown and malted in the same province I live in is just icing on the cake.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 08:17:12 pm »

This. Well, to a point. When hops are the star of the show, I strongly prefer a more neutral malt. So I go for the plain two row pale malt. I just don't understand it when people brew an American Pale Ale or IPA with MO or tons of Munich. That being said, certain American styles, like an American-style Porter or an American Brown Ale, where American hops play a supporting role, can be very nice with Maris Otter, IMO.

As far as Canadian 2-row, I have used Gambrinus Pils and Pale plenty, and find the Pils to be an excellent stand-in for Belgian recipes (which is where most of my Pils typically goes). I don't brew lagers often, nor kölsches, so perhaps where the pilsner malt is the star, the Gambrinus stuff isn't ideal... Gambrinus Pale seems, to me, somewhere in between Great Western 2-row and Briess Pale Ale malt. It is the most convenient base malt for me to get right now, so I will be using it extensively for some time, but I wouldn't call it "English" in character, more "American," if anything.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:17:34 am by skyler »

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 03:57:11 pm »
I've been using Canadian Pale Malt with great results.  I made an American style brown ale and a American IPA that both turned out great!  In fact I named my brown ale "Canadian Brown Ale" to honor those great canadian brewers who dont get mentioned much.  This was a "Hybrid" style that I created that's somewhere between an American and British brown.