Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Star San  (Read 8531 times)

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
Re: Star San
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 09:53:05 am »
I've heard of using phosphoric acid to "acidify" the StarSan solution.

In 1 oz. of STAR SAN/5 gallons of tap water there is 780 ppm of phosphoric acid. why would you add more?
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 09:54:28 am »
Because even with that level there sometimes isn't enough to drop the pH to where it needs to be.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 11:37:28 am »
Does anyone know if it has any negative effects on copper? Can I dip my wort chiller into a bucket of it to sanitize it, or will this cause issue with the metal?

Nope, that's fine.  But why not sanitize it by putting it into the boiling wort?

I used to do that. The water in the coil starts boiling and the plastic hoses I have on there get too soft as they are not rated for 200+ now I just dump the thing in the bucket full of sanitizer, and let it sit until I need it. (I make a 5 gallon batch before I start brewing).
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 11:58:13 am »
I used to do that. The water in the coil starts boiling and the plastic hoses I have on there get too soft as they are not rated for 200+ now I just dump the thing in the bucket full of sanitizer, and let it sit until I need it. (I make a 5 gallon batch before I start brewing).
I drain the "coil" wort chiller after each use & don't seem to run into this problem? Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 12:18:20 pm »
I sanitize my IC chiller with starsan. Then it goes in at the end of the boil. Why? Because when I drop the IC into the boiling wort it stops the boiling and lowers the temp automatically.

Got tired of waiting for the boil to restart when I'm also tossing in late hop additions. I figure clean sanitized chiller + hot wort = no problem. And so far it has been... no problem.  :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 12:57:57 pm »
I just turn the heat up when I put in the chiller and turn it back down once it comes to a boil.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 01:32:11 pm »
I just turn the heat up when I put in the chiller and turn it back down once it comes to a boil.
Same here. As soon as it goes in the wort the flame goes back to high and  it usually rebounds in less than a minute for 10 gallons. Turn the flame back down and then the Irish Moss and 15 minute hops addition goes in, if there is one. One thing I should mention. I drain the IC after each use. I could see if it were full of water it would have a much greater effect on the boil. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 01:36:17 pm »
Don't drain mine...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 02:18:27 pm »
You should if you live somewhere that freezes.

I live in NE Florida and I still drain my IC by holding it upside down and even pushing a little air pressure through the tubing to push the remaining water out of the IC.  I store my IC with the corny kegs in the garage--a corny keg helps maintain the IC's shape. 
No sense in having a ruptured IC because the temps got below freezing.   
Also, no sense in encouraging pitting or galvanic corrosion by having water in the IC when it isn't being used.