Author Topic: Need some engineering help  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
Re: Need some engineering help
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
I agree there are better fuels we could be using.  The first deisel engine was desinged to run on vegie oil not petrol deisel but you have to compare apples to apples when using MPG to evaluate fuel economy.  

Yes, cars 30 years ago could get 40 to 50 MPG but... most of them didn't have AC, power steering, electric windows and doors.  None of them had airbags or TV's or satelite radio.  They were also the size of the spare tire in today's SUVs.  We can do better but we have to be realistic with our expectations.

Sorry to be a wet blanket (but it's whatI do best).

Paul

Edited to correct some really stupid spelling errors.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 03:27:55 PM »
Need to bring back the VW Beetle. Not the new one but the old rear engine one...the people's car.

Tubercle had 2 in his life.

They got so good gas mileage that every 100 miles or so you would have to pull over and siphon a quart of gas out of the tank to keep it from running over.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »
http://www.automobilemag.com/green/reviews/0907_1985_honda_crx_hf_2010_honda_insight/index.html

My buddy had the 1985 CRX HF, great little car, I had 1982 dodge colt twin stick, that had air and sipped gas for weeks, loved that car.

Now we could also have a Volkswagen Scirocco GT TDI but the powers that be won't bring it over.
http://green.autoblog.com/2009/05/06/volkswagen-scirocco-gt-tdi-stokes-our-oil-burning-lust/

Same for the Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Style,87 mpg but you can't buy one for the usa market
http://blog.fuelclinic.com/2010/01/03/87-mpg-while-driving-a-ford-focus/

I could do this all day long but you get the point, theres a market but for reasons unknown they just won't bring them here.

Things that make you go hmmm?

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 06:30:29 PM »

Would you be imitating a Mazda rotary engine?

"Piston engines go boing-boing-boing, but the Mazda goes hmmmmmmmm."
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »

I had an 81 RX7 that got fairly decent mileage. Those old rotaries required little but the oil being changed in them- which was often if one wanted the engine to retain compression.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2011, 10:43:52 PM »
I had a 82 Scirocco and an 89 Accord. Both great little cars, both got over 30 MPG if memory serves. It's all about the weight gain, just like us. That Accord was smaller and lighter than today's Civic, and yes it had power everything except seats. Even had a moonroof. We have passenger cars now that weigh as much as F-150s did when I was a kid, and we turn to hybrids to improve fuel economy. It's a scam, nothing more.

Anyone remember the Geo Metros? 55mpg.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 04:42:42 AM »

Nope, Arsenio Hall

I had a 82 Scirocco and an 89 Accord. Both great little cars, both got over 30 MPG if memory serves. It's all about the weight gain, just like us. That Accord was smaller and lighter than today's Civic, and yes it had power everything except seats. Even had a moonroof.

My old `94 acura integra gsr ( fastest "all motor"in daytona  ;) )  would get 32mpg with my wife driving, slighty less for me and on trackdays it was 18mpg. :D

Car had everything,abs,moonroof,pwr everything and still got better gas milage than many of todays cars.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:49:51 AM by uthristy »

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 06:15:08 AM »
Of course I also realized they were both manuals, which is another sad thing that happened to cars. I wonder what percentage of under-20 drivers today can drive a stick? I'd guess in the neighborhood of 2.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • View Profile
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 06:29:10 AM »
I had a buds kid in my car for a ride. He looked at the cranks for the windows and asked "What are these"? I told him they are for rolling the windows up and down. HE said "Thats stupid"
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 06:29:40 AM »
I wonder what percentage of under-20 drivers today can drive a stick? I'd guess in the neighborhood of 2.

or "heel-and-toeing" ,I spent years  getting my technique perfect.

Electronic stability control (ESC), ABS, Traction control system (TCS) Adaptive Chassis Control (ACC), GPS and the list goes on & on, makes you wonder how people drove without all the drivers aids ::)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:32:38 AM by uthristy »

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 06:35:01 AM »
I had a buds kid in my car for a ride. He looked at the cranks for the windows and asked "What are these"? I told him they are for rolling the windows up and down. HE said "Thats stupid"

The appropriate response would of course be, "You're stupid!"

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 07:06:09 AM »

I believe when these first were invented - in the 50's? - they were called Wankle engines. I think that is the guy who invented it.

Of course I also realized they were both manuals, which is another sad thing that happened to cars. I wonder what percentage of under-20 drivers today can drive a stick? I'd guess in the neighborhood of 2.

Tubercle was in his 40's before he owned a vehicle with an auto trans. Had drove many of them every day on the job but never bought such. Learned to drive a 1954 Ford 1/2 ton w/3-on-the-tree. A stick just comes natural.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 07:42:26 AM »
The engine was invented by German engineer Felix Wankel. He received his first patent for the engine in 1929, began development in the early 1950s at NSU Motorenwerke AG (NSU), and completed a working prototype in 1957.
google

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 07:46:33 AM »
Need to bring back the VW Beetle. Not the new one but the old rear engine one...the people's car.

Tubercle had 2 in his life.

They got so good gas mileage that every 100 miles or so you would have to pull over and siphon a quart of gas out of the tank to keep it from running over.

Hahahaaaa!  I remember those days... we put them through hell too, off road driving, trail blazing and hill climbing even.   ;D  If they got stuck we just got out picked it up and turned it around or moved it one way or another.   ;)

Uthirsty, remember my last post... its all about the green.  If "somebody" ain't making enough of it then we ain't gonna get it... we're captives in this land in some ways.   Someone who moved here from another country said this... if they need a serious operation done they will go home to have it done, its less expensive and the doctors are more experienced.   America is all about the new and doing research... how does it feel to be a guinea pig?  "They" just keep giving us bigger wheels and telling us we're really going somewhere now.   ;)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »
The engine was invented by German engineer Felix Wankel. He received his first patent for the engine in 1929, began development in the early 1950s at NSU Motorenwerke AG (NSU), and completed a working prototype in 1957.
google

Yeah, then Mazda started making them in the late 60's, engineered a darned fine engine in the late mid 80's and then started to tweek the design to make them worse and worse ever since.  The best of the whole lot was the 1985 RX-7 GSL-SE.  The 04 and 05 RX-8's are so bad they had to extend the warrenty too 100K just to keep people from suing them.  I have one apart in my shop as we speak.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995