Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black Sludge and Over Carbonation?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline captnjohnny1618

• Cellarman
Black Sludge and Over Carbonation?
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:02:19 pm »
Just opened a bottle of german altbier I brewed from a kit and ended up with a slowly, overflowing bottle.  there also appears to be, at the bottom of the bottle, a blackish-brown sludge mixed with the yeast. Here's a picture:

It's clearly an infection of some sort... but with no horrible flavors or anything.  I'm currently drinking it... Has anyone else experienced this?   Should I be concerned?  haha. 

Yay homebrew!

~John~

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Black Sludge and Over Carbonation?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:13:06 pm »
Well, Charlie Papazian points out that you can't create any pathogens brewing beer that will kill you, so.......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:31:07 am »
Slowly overflowing sounds like an over-carbonation issue, and the dark precipitate is probably just from dark solids from the beer itself.  I've never seen a beer contamination that was black.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:47:58 am »
Could have sworn I posted to this last night... But anyway. It could be the hop isomers dropping out of the solution. This is how hop flavor and bitterness fades over time.

How long did you condition the beer in the bottle?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis