Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hop tea  (Read 2526 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
hop tea
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:59:00 am »
Hi folks -

Well, as I'm in charge of the "educational portion" of our club meeting this saturday, I figured I would make a bunch of hop tea for tasting.  I have 10 varieities, so it may work out well to compare them. 

I planned on just using my coffee maker, puting about a cup of whole leaf hops in the brew basket, and go for it.  Then just bottle into some 22 ouncers, cap, label, and "bob's your uncle."

Any thoughts?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: hop tea
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:01:50 am »
I've tried making hop tea 3-4 times and each time it's been some of the nastiest, most disgustingly vegetal stuff I've ever tasted.  My thoughts would be "don't do it!".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:04 am »
hmmmm.......

On a Modern Marvels episode once, they showed the folks from DFH doing this to get an idea of the differences.  When you DID make it, how did you do it?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:26:28 am »
I steeped the hops in water just off the boil.  A couple times I tried adjusting the water pH, but it didn't seem to make much difference.  I've heard that maybe my water was too hot.  Or maybe it's just my tastebuds.  I'll modify my advice to "try it and see what you think before you serve it to others"....how's that?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:26:57 am »
I have to agree with Denny, its nasty stuff... but you will get educated if you do it. Just make sure you have something that can 'clean' your mouth out between and after and cleanse the palate inbetween... it truely is nasty tasting.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:30:03 am »
Maybe it'd be better to dry hop individual bottles for a week prior to the meeting.  Use a cream ale or something fairly neutral.  Then you'd get an idea of the flavor/aroma.  It'd work better with pellets, and of course it'd probably foam like a banshee as soon as you dropped one in.

I'd love to try a bunch of single-hop brews.  They had a tasting in St Louis last year, I think there were fifteen different brews.  I didn't find out about it till the day of, and couldn't make it down there.  I keep thinking I'll line up some small fermentors and mash five gallons of wort, then boil 1gal batches with single hops.  But that'd take effort.  I do currently have at least a dozen different varieties in the freezer.

Wonder if it'd be better to brew the "tea" using wort?  Might be slightly closer to the actual thing.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 11:10:50 am »
Making a tea using wort would be much better..it's called "beer"!  :)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 11:40:08 am »
Making a tea using wort would be much better..it's called "beer"!  :)

Not if you don't ferment it.  But then it would be called a darned shame.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 11:43:17 am »
Well guys, I'm gonna try it in my coffee maker tonight.  Don't have time to dry hop.  Meeting is Saturday.  I'll do it after our annual elections.  LOL.