General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Problems with my fermentation

(1/3) > >>

travjohn92:
Alright, I started home brewing 10 years ago, but took a 7 year hiatus and started brewing again about 2 months ago.

I am currently have a batch of IPA which had an original gravity of 1.070. I pitched my California ale liquid yeast from white labs at the appropriate temperature 70-75 degrees and had great fermentation during my primary stage. When I transferred to my secondary fermentation tank, after 8 days (glass carboy- gravity had dropped to 1.028) all my fermentation appeared to stop. It has been 4 days now and I have little to no clearing and I have not noticed my airlock moving at all.

What do I need to do?

I have a fear that it will be too malty even though I did do a continual hop adding during my 60-75 minute boil.

euge:

--- Quote from: travjohn92 on January 19, 2011, 09:12:46 PM ---Alright, I started home brewing 10 years ago, but took a 7 year hiatus and started brewing again about 2 months ago.

I am currently have a batch of IPA which had an original gravity of 1.070. I pitched my California ale liquid yeast from white labs at the appropriate temperature 70-75 degrees and had great fermentation during my primary stage. When I transferred to my secondary fermentation tank, after 8 days (glass carboy- gravity had dropped to 1.028) all my fermentation appeared to stop. It has been 4 days now and I have little to no clearing and I have not noticed my airlock moving at all.

What do I need to do?

I have a fear that it will be too malty even though I did do a continual hop adding during my 60-75 minute boil.

--- End quote ---

Sounds to me like you under-pitched, fermented a little too warm, and transfered a bit too soon. Now the few remaining yeast are struggling to clean up the sugars. I think more time is the answer. Maybe rouse the secondary if the yeast have dropped.

Your decision to rack to secondary should have been based on the gravity not on the length of time in primary.

travjohn92:
How much longer should I wait?  Do I need to pitch more yeast?  If nothing happens within the next week or so
 do I go ahead and keg it or ditch it?

euge:

--- Quote from: travjohn92 on January 19, 2011, 09:33:38 PM ---How much longer should I wait?  Do I need to pitch more yeast?  If nothing happens within the next week or so
 do I go ahead and keg it or ditch it?



--- End quote ---

Noooooh..... Don't ditch it!. Let it sit for a week or a couple weeks in a dark cool place. Then check the gravity. If it hasn't dropped then it's probably done. However, it should drop since there's still yeast in the beer. How about more info like a recipe?

RDWHAHB it's a learning experience. :D Start another and let this one sit and finish on it's own. When it reaches FG Bottle or keg it.

jeffy:
Why not add a rehydrated packet of US-05 dry yeast to it and see if it becomes active?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version