General Category > Equipment and Software

Blichmann Therminator wort chiller

(1/4) > >>

micsager:
Well, I have made the move from immersion to plate chiller.  UPS.com says my new therminator will be here tomorrow.  Gonna brew this weekend, and try this thing out. 

Any advice from any of you that may have one?

tom:
I clean my pump and hoses by pumping hot PBW through them for 30 minutes. I backflush the Therminator and then put it in the loop.

I sanitize it with starSan or in the oven at 285F for 3 hours. I put it in the oven the night before on time-bake and it's sterile, cool and ready to go in the morning.

jaybeerman:
You'll love it.  With winter tap water I can run a 10 minute whirl and then directly transfer to fermenter at pitching temp but with summer water I have to recirculate for a while before the transfer.  Do you have an inline thermometer for the wort outlet side? 

micsager:

--- Quote from: jaybeerman on January 20, 2011, 12:13:57 PM ---You'll love it.  With winter tap water I can run a 10 minute whirl and then directly transfer to fermenter at pitching temp but with summer water I have to recirculate for a while before the transfer.  Do you have an inline thermometer for the wort outlet side? 

--- End quote ---

I don't.  Also, I planned on using it full gravity with no pump.  Will that work?  (I have the top tier stand)

jaybeerman:

--- Quote from: micsager on January 20, 2011, 01:54:30 PM ---I don't.  Also, I planned on using it full gravity with no pump.  Will that work?  (I have the top tier stand)

--- End quote ---

The inline thermo is very nice but not necessary.  I use a pump and I don't know what your tap water temps are but I imagine that if you throttle the flow of the wort you can get it to work.  If you're not using a pump you may have a harder time cleaning the chiller.  Make sure that as soon as you finish brewing, run tap water full bore through the plate chiller in reverse direction (i.e. backflush).  It also helps to switch from hot to cold and back a few times, that seems to loosen things up quite well.  

If you (anybody with experience) don't have a pump but use a plate chiller, what are your cleaning/sanitizing methods?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version