General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Boiling Wort outdoors in winter

(1/5) > >>

goybar:
Would I be able to do a full volume boil outside in the winter?

I live in Southern Maine.

Planning on 5 gallon batches.  I assume I would need about 6.5 gallons to start.

I'm planning on purchasing a Bayou Classic SP10 (other recommened?) and a 40qt kettle.

Thanks

Chris

pdbreen:
Your propane tank will frost (more than usual), but the fire will still be hot enough for the boil.  Try to stay out of the wind.  And, plan ahead where you discharge your chiller water - makes for good skating!

goybar:
I figured a snow bank and the ambient air temperature would cool the work quickly with out the need to bring out the wort chiller.

Chris

pdbreen:

--- Quote from: goybar on December 03, 2009, 04:40:33 PM ---I figured a snow bank and the ambient air temperature would cool the work quickly with out the need to bring out the wort chiller.

--- End quote ---

I've found a chiller is still much, much faster - much greater surface area in contact with the wort.  I run a hose from inside my house to the chiller so I don't have to worry about freezing hose lines.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: goybar on December 03, 2009, 04:40:33 PM ---I figured a snow bank and the ambient air temperature would cool the work quickly with out the need to bring out the wort chiller.

--- End quote ---

Snow is actually mostly air. Just look how well insulated igloos are.

I set my kettle in a snow bank last year when my CFC froze and it took over two hours to get to pitching temperature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version