Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stopping fermentation  (Read 2029 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Stopping fermentation
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:20:18 pm »
I have a cider that I want to back-sweeten and force carbonate. What is the best way to make sure that the yeast is killed out? My LHBS suggested Potassium Sorbate and Potassium Metabisfulfite. But I forget what amounts they suggested. Can anyone help?

thanks!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Stopping fermentation
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:11:41 am »
I have a cider that I want to back-sweeten and force carbonate. What is the best way to make sure that the yeast is killed out? My LHBS suggested Potassium Sorbate and Potassium Metabisfulfite. But I forget what amounts they suggested. Can anyone help?

thanks!
Dano

I think it's one campden tablet per 5 gallons but it only stuns the yeast AFAIK.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kenschramm

• 1st Kit
  • Mead head
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:39:01 pm »
Has your cider actually ceased to ferment?  If so, then potassium sorbate at 1 tsp/gallon will suffice.  If not, you'll want to make sure the yeast has ceased activity, either by reaching its alcohol tolerance, running out of sugar, or by cold crashing. Neither potassium sorbate nor sulfites will stop an active fermentation.

Ken
bright red cherries against a blue sky, fresh and ripe, preserved through time...

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 10:45:06 am »
Has your cider actually ceased to ferment?  If so, then potassium sorbate at 1 tsp/gallon will suffice.  If not, you'll want to make sure the yeast has ceased activity, either by reaching its alcohol tolerance, running out of sugar, or by cold crashing. Neither potassium sorbate nor sulfites will stop an active fermentation.

Ken

It has stopped fermenting, It is aging in a better bottle. Cider was made on 10/2/10 and racked to secondary on 11/19/10. I want to back-sweeten it when I keg it and don't want the fermentation starting back up.

Thanks for the advice!
Dano
Tulsa, OK