Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pliny the Elder :-(  (Read 5661 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Pliny the Elder :-(
« on: January 21, 2011, 05:40:03 am »
So I walk into my favorite beer store yesterday evening to try some new stuff, and lo and behold a bottle of Pliny the Elder is sitting there. I pick it up immediately but as soon as I do the owner comes over and says, "I'm sorry but it's my private collection, I just left it here temporarily."

OH the HUMANITY! But at least I got to hold a bottle.*

*Yes, this is silly because it's overhyped all the time, but still I'd love to try some.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
Re: Pliny the Elder :-(
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 05:44:29 am »
Sorry that happened  >:(

It is a great beer, and really worth trying as an archetype of the IIPA.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:20:34 am »
You know you could make something that tastes pretty close.
http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny%20the%20Elder%20clone%20PDF.pdf
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 06:22:29 am »
if it's your favorite beer store, I'm assuming you're in there regularly & know the owner. if so, you should have said - ok, I understand.... you can have it back, but you have to share it with me.  :D

most of us love to share great beer (ours or commercial) with like-minded friends, he very well might have said yes.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 07:06:09 am »

That's the plan, eventually, but the lag time between brewing and drinking is SO HIGH! Instant gratification fail.
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 07:07:01 am »
if it's your favorite beer store, I'm assuming you're in there regularly & know the owner. if so, you should have said - ok, I understand.... you can have it back, but you have to share it with me.  :D

most of us love to share great beer (ours or commercial) with like-minded friends, he very well might have said yes.

I got the impression that he had a bunch of friends he had already promised to share it with. Plus he hooked me up with a freaking awesome french IIPA, so I was satisfied.
----

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 07:08:39 am »

That's the plan, eventually, but the lag time between brewing and drinking is SO HIGH! Instant gratification fail.

but that is only for the first pint  ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 08:05:21 am »
@ paul blatz....  haven't brewed that big red ale yet, but i'm sending you some when i do.

and pliny is a great beer, recommended to be drank very fresh.  i wonder how long he plans on collecting it? 
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:06:11 am »
@ paul blatz....  haven't brewed that big red ale yet, but i'm sending you some when i do.

and pliny is a great beer, recommended to be drank very fresh.  i wonder how long he plans on collecting it? 

It was for this weekend. By being the best beer shop owner in Paris it means he gets a lot of business from ex-pats who travel, apparently people get him beer gifts when they go to the states. That's the life.

Anybody wanna come to Paris? You can stay at our guest room for free (it's across from a chateau/modern art museum) if you bring me some bottles from Russian River.
----

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 12:29:03 pm »
he hooked me up with a freaking awesome french IIPA

Sorry, is this a joke? I'm sure it isn't, it just struck me funny. Didn't know Frenchies were getting known for their beers. Kind of like hearing "I just had this wonderful Canadian pineapple!"

Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 03:38:05 am »

Sorry, is this a joke? I'm sure it isn't, it just struck me funny. Didn't know Frenchies were getting known for their beers. Kind of like hearing "I just had this wonderful Canadian pineapple!"

Are you saying they don't grow pineapples in Canada?!  Wow, I figured you can grow them anywhere.  Da buggahs are EVERYWHERE around here.  They are weeds.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:40:28 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 05:07:55 am »

Nope, no joke.

If there's one thing I've learned from living abroad it's that great beer can be found almost anywhere. Although I'd recommend against "banana beer." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_beer I've tried some, they carry it because apparently there's a lot of demand for it, but it's not really suited for my palate. Like an explosion of Isoamyl acetate on the tongue!

http://www.brasseriedesgarrigues.fr/index.htm
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:11:29 am by phillamb168 »
----

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:33:15 am »
If there's one thing I've learned from living abroad it's that great beer can be found almost anywhere. Although I'd recommend against "banana beer." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_beer I've tried some, they carry it because apparently there's a lot of demand for it, but it's not really suited for my palate. Like an explosion of Isoamyl acetate on the tongue!

http://www.brasseriedesgarrigues.fr/index.htm
They list Wells Banana Bread Beer as an example - I've had that, it's pretty good for a banana flavored beer.  I'd be surprised if it is actually an example of what they describe though, I'm pretty sure it is a malt based beer with banana added.  I wonder if I can find any of the other ones. . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 10:47:32 am »

I've come across a few damn fine French beers while in the south of Belgium but never a IPA style beer, blonds,saisons,BDG

Brasserie Thiriez
Brasserie Duyck
Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre
Les Brasseurs de Gayant
Brasserie Castelain à Bénifontaine
Brasserie La Choulette

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 04:09:44 pm »

It was for this weekend. By being the best beer shop owner in Paris it means he gets a lot of business from ex-pats who travel, apparently people get him beer gifts when they go to the states. That's the life.

Anybody wanna come to Paris? You can stay at our guest room for free (it's across from a chateau/modern art museum) if you bring me some bottles from Russian River.

I may take you up on that offer...Don't know when but when the mood strikes...  I've discoverd the ease of
going to Belgium for beer. France ain't too far away...
Ruben * Colorado :)