Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: March pump weather-proofing  (Read 4688 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
March pump weather-proofing
« on: January 21, 2011, 05:48:16 am »
My AG setup is currently in the basement, and, well, there be spiders. Me no likey spiders, so I was thinking of moving the entire setup outside, where I can blast nooks and crannies with a pressure washer at the slightest sign of web. (Right now I'm forced to get somewhat close to them and use my benzene torch to kill them, but because there are a few on the ceiling every now and then, sometimes I get a present in my hair  :o )

...anyway. Has anyone tried putting their march pump into an all-weather housing before? I know I'd need to make sure to flush out any remaining liquid after brew day to make sure things don't freeze, but otherwise would it work?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: March pump weather-proofing
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:10:46 am »
----

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:10:54 pm »
That is really cool, almost makes me want to buy a march pump.

You could probably also pick up a project box at radioshack (or whatever you've got over there in Paris).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:17:48 pm »
Check this out....

http://byo.com/component/resource/article/117-Departments/1968-pumped-up-toolbox-projects

Great! Thanks Denny. I've got a toolbox that's the perfect size for this.

That project has been on my to do list for over a year...I tend to procrastinate a bit!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brian424

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:15:12 am »
New to the forum and this caught my attention.  I added a march pump to my setup around early summer last year, I live just outside of Chicago and I do most of my brewing outside in the garage, although this winter I've been doing all my brewing on the stove in the kitchen to avoid the cold.  So my question is, is there anything I need to do/prepare for the next time I brew outside with the pump as its been sitting in the cold garage all winter not being used (the last outdoor brew was the last week of September 2010) Or will the pump run smoothly the next time I start it up?

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 10:22:13 am »
It should work fine as long as there wasn't any moisture still in the housing which, obviously, would freeze.
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 11:04:13 am »
Brooms work great for destroying spider webs, with no danger of lighting anything on fire.  It doesn't kill the spiders directly, but if they can't catch food they cant eat, and if they can't eat . . .

I've managed to mostly eradicate them in my garage and brewing space by keeping up with the broom.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 02:04:24 am »
Brooms work great for destroying spider webs, with no danger of lighting anything on fire.  It doesn't kill the spiders directly, but if they can't catch food they cant eat, and if they can't eat . . .

I've managed to mostly eradicate them in my garage and brewing space by keeping up with the broom.

Yeah, that works for the small ones that build webs. But I've got some down there that are from the devil: completely black with a 2-3 inch span, and they don't build webs. They just like to sit and wait for me in places that are just to the side of wherever I happen to be working.

Thankfully there are no black widows/brown recluses in Europe (to the best of my knowledge... and I would prefer to not be corrected on this matter if I am wrong) but those things are still super freaky.
----

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 02:10:20 am »
Freaky spiders.  We allegedly have both black widows and hobo spiders here, but I've never seen any as far as I know.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 02:35:05 am »
Freaky spiders.  We allegedly have both black widows and hobo spiders here, but I've never seen any as far as I know.

Brown recluse here but bites are rare. Spiders eat weevils.  ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 03:08:31 am »

Brown recluse here but bites are rare. Spiders eat weevils.  ;D

GARDEN spiders I don't mind, they can hang out near my hops and eat bugs to their heart's content.
----

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 05:04:54 am »
Thankfully there are no black widows/brown recluses in Europe (to the best of my knowledge... and I would prefer to not be corrected on this matter if I am wrong) but those things are still super freaky.
[/quote]

Phil, I think you're safe... a little googling shows the only black widows in France are in Corsica & the Mediterranean coast. No recluse spiders. Unfortunately, we've got both in FL. At one point years ago I bought and restored an old house - built in late 1890's, added on to in couple of stages between then and the late 30's maybe early 40's (and seemingly neglected after that). Working in the attic and especially under the house made me nervous, but no incidents.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline mark97304

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 01:56:13 pm »
As an additional option for the weather-proofing I used a plastic mailbox and had the in flow and the out flow come in through the sides.  During brew days I just keep the mail box door open.  I also put the flag up to remind me when the pump is on.  Mark

Offline brewing_in_mke

• 1st Kit
    • Beer Barons of Milwaukee
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 07:58:38 pm »
Check this out....

http://byo.com/component/resource/article/117-Departments/1968-pumped-up-toolbox-projects

One minor issue...  the switch that was used in that BYO article is in no way shape or form water-proof, weather tight or for use in a damp environment.  The wiring as shown on the article is not rated for a wet environment. If you are going to build this project:
1- use a GFCI cord cap, so you always have it with you.  Something along these lines : http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/HUBBELL-WIRING-DEVICEKELLEMS-GFCI-Plug-4HD21?Pid=search

2- Use a waterproof switch (this will not be rated for a pressure washer, there are switches that are rated for that, but the hobbyist is not going to afford it) something line this:  http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202188640/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Just letting some of my 16 years of experience as a commercial/industrial electrical contractor out.
President
Beer Barons of Milwaukee Cooperative

www.beerbarons.org
www.twitter.com/beerbaronsmke