Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Burton ale  (Read 1091 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Burton ale
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:16:22 pm »
I was reading the Burton ale article in Zymurgy. Fuller's 1845 is said to be representative of the style. Smooth, sweet, and very bitter.

I didn't think the Fuller's is syrupy or sticky. It's actually fairly light bodied IMO. Digestible. Ideas about brewing up this style of beer?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Burton ale
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:51:57 am »
I did a circa 1900 IPA last year that was similar in some aspects.  OG=1.070, all MO, about 1 lb of kettle hops, but 1028 ale yeast not Windsor.  The brew was very simple.  Then you ferment, and age it for a year.  That is the hard part, as you might sample it, and you go - not so good.  Early I was tempted to dump it.  After about 10 months it had dropped bright and tasted pretty good- couldn't wait any longer - it was dry hopped and turned out fantastic.

Just follow the directions in the article.  The hard part is the year wait.  If you sample young, it will be not so good.  That is due to the sulfate in the water and tannins from so much low alpha hops in the boil, in my opinion.  Once it drops brilliant, that is when it gets good.  The dry hopping is also a key point.  I think 2 oz/5 gallons would be just fine.  You won't believe this beer is old.

My internal debate is should I make the 1900 IPA again, or do the Burton.  The IPA hung around for a 10 months, then was gone in a couple of weeks.  I expect the Burton would be similar.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!