Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plugged mesh in kettle  (Read 1594 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Plugged mesh in kettle
« on: January 21, 2011, 07:37:12 pm »
Everything was going great, a rye pale ale with 25% rye and no stuck sparge, hit the numbers, everything was great.  2 minutes into pumping the wort through the counterflow chiller it slowed to a trickle.  I can blow back through it but it's plugged somehow.  I've tried going straight from the kettle to the fermenter to see if that would work but apparently the pickup tube is plugged.  At this rate I should have the 11 gallons into the buckets in another couple of hours.  Don't need help, just needed to vent, right now I'm Relaxing,Having A HomeBrew
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Plugged mesh in kettle
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 07:50:08 pm »
Has it worked for you before?  Is it hose braid or a Bazooka?  As big a proponent of the braid as I am, I've never gotten it to work in the kettle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Plugged mesh in kettle
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23:25 pm »
Has it worked for you before?  Is it hose braid or a Bazooka?  As big a proponent of the braid as I am, I've never gotten it to work in the kettle.
It's worked for the past 8 years.  I have a false bottom, and underneath there is the braid.  I went to this double system years ago after I had dried orange peel plug everything from the kettle spigot to the racking port on the conical.  That was a nightmare so I added the braid over the pickup tube.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico