Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Software  (Read 6143 times)

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Software
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 07:41:12 am »
I ♥ Beersmith!

I actually have the entire program folder on a shared network drive and can run it from any PC/Laptop in the house.  Which is handy when I can't have access to a certain PC. ( Ever try to tell the wife to get off Facebook so  I can check a beer recipe?  :o )

You sir, might be a genius :)

It never crossed my mind to just run the program from a share, good-bye to import/export hassles from computer to computer!
"To the Cloud!"
I regularly run BS off my flash drive, or use Remote Desktop when I just want to check something.
Helpful hint:Instead of your shortcut pointing to Beersmith.exe, setup your shortcut to point to "Scratch.bsm".  That way it will load the same scratchpad every time you startup.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 08:55:22 am »
I ♥ Beersmith!

I actually have the entire program folder on a shared network drive and can run it from any PC/Laptop in the house.  Which is handy when I can't have access to a certain PC. ( Ever try to tell the wife to get off Facebook so  I can check a beer recipe?  :o )

Hey, I never thought of that!  I could just run the Beersmith shared from the main PC.  Remote Desktop isn't a bad idea either.  I've been putting off setting up a better home network.  Going to have to get on that!

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 09:33:19 am »
I think the best solution is to store everything in "the cloud" so it can be accessed from not just any computer in the house but wherever you go. There are countless websites that offer these services and don't require carrying an easy to loose usb stick around. Something like http://www.filesanywhere.com/ or http://www.sharefile.com/filetransfer/remote-file-storage.aspx might work. Google is going after a model of storing everything in the cloud with there Chrome OS that is just a browser basically with everything stored remotely.
   I like the idea but haven't played around much with it yet. hopville.com is something like the facebook of brewers but there could be room for more professional brew software like proMash to go in the direction of a web based application so it can be accessed from any phone as an app or the web browser.

Offline zacbwb

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 09:42:40 am »
I ♥ Beersmith!

Hey, I never thought of that!  I could just run the Beersmith shared from the main PC.  Remote Desktop isn't a bad idea either.  I've been putting off setting up a better home network.  Going to have to get on that!

Another option is to use a file share program like Dropbox. Just save your beersmith recipe file there and you can access it from anywhere provided the computer you are accessing it from has beersmith installed. I brew with my dad and brother, so this is very helpful when one of us wants to go in a edit a recipe, or add a new one.

Offline Tony H.

• 1st Kit
    • Ales, Tales and Plastic Brew Pales
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 09:48:50 am »
I'll stick with the program on the shared drive on my own network.  I just got it all sync'd with my backup .bsm and it works GREAT!

From a security standpoint, which I sort of do for a living, RDP and "cloud" type stuff wouldn't allow me to make sure everything is all tidy and secure.  But, if you can't set up a file server, those two options are great!
Tony (johngault007)
Primary: Toffee Nut Brown
Kegged Concussion Red,Pumpkin Ale,Scottish Ale
Upcoming Brews:Beer
Me Uncensored: [link]http://www.stigmatic-creations.com/homebrewing[/link]

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 10:01:47 am »
I have Beer Alchemy on my Mac, synched to the iPhone and ........ don't use it. To me it is still a solution to a problem I don't have. I use a lot of automation, but for brewing I like my three ring binder with lots of paper and some mental math.

What I do use is an iPhone app callled Brew Math.... just the basics. Works for me.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 10:29:41 am »
What I do use is an iPhone app callled Brew Math.... just the basics. Works for me.

I also use Brew Math for quick calculations from time to time...very handy app for sure.
Ron Price