Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing Hops, Which bines?  (Read 4624 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Growing Hops, Which bines?
« on: January 21, 2011, 04:12:50 pm »
Just got an email from Midwest saying their hop rhizomes are available for pre-order. I would like to get 4 bines to see if I can grow them down here in the hot south. Which ones would you recommend?

Tulsa, OK

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Growing Hops, Which bines?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:19:56 pm »
Cascade has grown the strongest and produced the most for me.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 05:25:30 pm »
Been able to grow cascade, centennial and magnum in S.C.

Have to water them a lot though. That L Nino bi3ch or whatever has been holding the rain back for the past several years during the summer. If I ever run across that bastard... gonna knock the hell out of them.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 06:29:50 pm »

Have to water them a lot though. That L Nino bi3ch or whatever has been holding the rain back for the past several years during the summer. If I ever run across that bastard... gonna knock the hell out of them.

Where's the third person voice?  You been drinking again?

+1 to Centennial and Magnum, very robust in hot conditions and disease resistant.  On the other hand, my Sterling has sucked hind teet for the last two years.  Susceptible to spider mites and jsut generally weak.

Keep in mind that if you plant different varieties, keep them well separated.  Mine were five feet apart and they are already starting to grow into each other after two years.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 07:22:34 pm »
When you say the hot south is that the hot dry south or the hot wet south?  I grow Cascade and Nugget in the hot dry south but nothing else has worked at all for me.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 09:48:48 pm »
When you say the hot south is that the hot dry south or the hot wet south?  I grow Cascade and Nugget in the hot dry south but nothing else has worked at all for me.

Yes. Northeast Oklahoma; the summer starts out wet and hot and ends up hot and dry.

Keep in mind that if you plant different varieties, keep them well separated.  Mine were five feet apart and they are already starting to grow into each other after two years.

I plan on planting two on each side of this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15193128@N02/5376370215/in/set-72157625614267325/
About 1 ft on each side of the corner. I am going to add a 10 X 10 deck on each side next spring.
Tulsa, OK

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 10:47:33 pm »
Columbus and Chinook grew well in pots for me, and I'm in Colorado... Not as humid or hot as OK, but much drier.  I had to water them once a day.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 12:06:07 am »
Columbus and Chinook grew well in pots for me, and I'm in Colorado... Not as humid or hot as OK, but much drier.  I had to water them once a day.

What size pots?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 06:55:41 am »

Where's the third person voice?  You been drinking again?

+1 to Centennial and Magnum, very robust in hot conditions and disease resistant.  On the other hand, my Sterling has sucked hind teet for the last two years.  Susceptible to spider mites and jsut generally weak.

Tubercle went to bed early. Don't know who was posting this.

"my Sterling has sucked hind teet for the last two years.  Susceptible to spider mites and jsut generally weak."

Same problem here. 2 years of fairly good production then died.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:01:37 am »
I'll know more this year but from what I've seen so far... Sterling is weak as tubercle and tomsawyer have said, so is Goldings imo.  Nugget is pretty good but Cascade, Centennial and Fuggle are strong growers.  I'll probably have to dig them up and space them out further because mine are only 6 or so feet apart between varieties.  I may drop down to just those that grow well, I want to add Magnum this year.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 11:13:30 pm »

What size pots?

Not sure, 5 gallon pots maybe?  It works pretty well.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 07:27:48 pm »
I think I am going to try Magnum and Cascade.

Has anyone ever tried Pearle?

Thanks for all the advice!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 05:29:57 am »
Wait, you can plant hops in pots? I thought you HAD to do them in the ground? If true this changes everything.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 06:17:47 am »
You want a really big pot, otherwise they will become root bound after the first or second year. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 06:47:08 am »
You want a really big pot, otherwise they will become root bound after the first or second year. 

Someone mentions 5-gallon above - will that do? Or should I go higher? Do I need to get any special plants to help with drainage?

Also, here's another question, somewhat related. I wanted to grow the vines up along the side of my deck, but after that I wanted to train them to go horizontally to form a sort of canopy over the deck. Is this possible?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!