Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Did I do a stupid?  (Read 4588 times)

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
Did I do a stupid?
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:59:48 am »
I think I did something fairly dumb yesterday, but I'm not sure how much damage I did.  Sunday, I was cleaning up after my last brew.  I put PBW in my SS boil pot and threw in my immersion chiller and my copper pipe manifold.  I meant to let them soak for a little bit and come back, but got distracted by family duties.  Long story short: I ended up leaving my copper immersion chiller and manifold soaking in PBW in my SS pot over night.  When I came back Monday, the PBW was a bluish green color.  I gather the copper had some sort of reaction.

Did I do anything bad?  If I did, how do I fix it?  Do I have to go shopping for a bigger boiler  ::)  ???

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Did I do a stupid?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 09:17:00 am »
PBW solution at 1% is good to use on most metals including copper. It's a caustic solution so it probably removed an oxide layer from the surface of your copper rendering your water blue. I use PBW on my kegs routinely. Love the stuff.  :)
Ron Price

Offline cookinwood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:22:19 am »
I think I did something fairly dumb yesterday, but I'm not sure how much damage I did.  Sunday, I was cleaning up after my last brew.  I put PBW in my SS boil pot and threw in my immersion chiller and my copper pipe manifold.  I meant to let them soak for a little bit and come back, but got distracted by family duties.  Long story short: I ended up leaving my copper immersion chiller and manifold soaking in PBW in my SS pot over night.  When I came back Monday, the PBW was a bluish green color.  I gather the copper had some sort of reaction.

Did I do anything bad?  If I did, how do I fix it?  Do I have to go shopping for a bigger boiler  ::)  ???

I have cleaned up copper to brand new looking status using id carlsons no scrub cleaner.  It could be crusty and oxidized but the no scrub cleaner made it literally look brand new.

cheers
Bacon, it's like dog treats for humans!

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:23:58 am »
PBW solution at 1% is good to use on most metals including copper. It's a caustic solution so it probably removed an oxide layer from the surface of your copper rendering your water blue. I use PBW on my kegs routinely. Love the stuff.  :)

I was hoping that's all I did and didn't cause some reaction between the Stainless and the copper!

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 11:11:30 am »
Rinse well...... DWHAHB.....carry on.

Unless you stuck a hot battery cable in there with it and grounded the pot I doubt you got that galvanic motor to do very much.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:48:39 pm »
Unless you stuck a hot battery cable in there with it and grounded the pot I doubt you got that galvanic motor to do very much.

Pheww!  I almost did that  ;)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 10:01:52 pm »
Yes I know, it's tempting....PUT THE WIRE DOWN.....NOW!  ;D

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 10:08:20 pm »

I really wish you hadn't said that.  :'(
I just happen to have a couple of old ss pots, copper tubing, etc. 8)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:51:06 am »
You know you were really hoping for the answer "your kettle is ruined, and since you need a new one you might as well upgrade to larger size"   ;)
Dan S. from NJ

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 07:43:43 am »
You know you were really hoping for the answer "your kettle is ruined, and since you need a new one you might as well upgrade to larger size"   ;)

Wellll....maybee.....  ;D

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 11:31:36 am »

I really wish you hadn't said that.  :'(
I just happen to have a couple of old ss pots, copper tubing, etc. 8)

Pictures or it didn't happen........ ;D

Offline rcf5005

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 12:33:05 pm »
You should be fine and dandy. Theres a small chance you're gonna get some funny colored spots on any contact point between the copper and the steel, but they're harmless and the steel should re-"stainless" itself naturally.