Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zinc for your yeast  (Read 1865 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
Zinc for your yeast
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:39:32 am »
So, I read in Chris and Jamil's Yeast book that Zinc is important for my yeast and that it is not included as a by-product of the mash.  Is it included in the yeast nutrient that we get at our LHBS? (mine carries Crosby and Baker) I remember listening to a Brew Strong pod cast where they mentioned putting a penny in the boil, but I can't remember what that was for.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Zinc for your yeast
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 06:50:21 am »
You could contact the manufacturer and see if there is zinc in there.  I add 1/2 of a 15 mg diet supplement tablet for 10 gallons of beer.  It is ground to a powder and goes in at 15 minutes.

Pennies are 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper these days,  They are copper plated, so the zinc may not be availabel to the wort.  Pennies are used in the boil to help prevent boil overs.  Trace copper is good for the yeast too.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:17:41 am »
I use the stuff from wyeast and it does contain Zinc.  Don't know for sure for the one you're using but I would bet yes.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:33:21 am »
I theorize that regular old zinc dietary supplements should work for this.  I keep zinc tablets on hand because they are the best thing out there for minimizing the extent of colds and other illnesses -- as soon as you feel like you might be coming down with something, take 2 zinc tablets, then 1 every day thereafter until the symptoms are gone.  It seems to help for me -- and look it up if you don't believe me.  But the BOTTOM LINE is that if you want to add a little zinc to your beer, why not just crush up like 1/8 of one tablet for 5 gallons and call it good?!  That's what I plan to do for any beers where nutrients might be an issue -- like for a pilsner where you've used distilled water so there's nothing in the way of nutrients except what is added by you.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.