Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: totally random  (Read 5233 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: totally random
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 08:05:14 am »
Welcome to our world.  I've been at it for 13 years and 149 (or so) batches.

Planning is the hardest part for me.  I tend to be a bit scatter brained and it it bites now and then.

This hobby did lead to a yearly Oktoberfest at our house.  Close 100 people last fall.

Have fun with it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 08:20:38 am »

Planning is the hardest part for me.  I tend to be a bit scatter brained and it it bites now and then.

This hobby did lead to a yearly Oktoberfest at our house.  Close 100 people last fall.

Have fun with it.

Paul

Wow how does one get an invite?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 08:45:09 am »
Find a local club, your learning rate will increase very vast.

I have been brewing for 18 years, somewhere around 290 batches (I have to count those up before I lose track).  It is a great hobby.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 08:52:52 am »
I've been brewing for 500 years, give or take a decade or two, through a series of successive reincarnations. Don't ask how many batches.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 09:11:18 am »
Keith,
It only SEEMS that long when go pro!

Continued Luck;

Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 10:03:39 am »

Have fun with it.

Paul

Wow how does one get an invite?

As one of my friends tells people "you have to know a guy, who knows a guy..."   :D

It's a mixture of people from work and friends we've made over the years (many, many years) through our kids classes and the whole neighborhood of course.  You can't have that big of a party and not invite the neighbors.

Let me know if you're ever going to be in Des Moines at the end of September, I'll PM you the details.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 10:13:33 am »
Welcome to the AHA Forum and the obsession carpenter. I too am obsessed with this awesome hobby and have been for about 20 years and some unknown number of batches. I am always on the search for knowledge and information in an effort to better myself and ultimately to make better beer. It's a process that has unfolded and continues to on a daily basis.

Making better beer one batch at a time.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 01:33:29 pm »
You can read forever but actually brewing is the best way to learn.  Its not something you want to put off until you have an adequate knowledge base.  Get yourself on a regular brew schedule, this way you'll build a cellar of beer and you'll be able to plan ahead.  Part of brewing is planning, from obtaining the supplies to looking ahead and knowing what you'll want to drink two months down the road.  Seasons really play into what beers taste good.

I've made lots of new friends from the hobby, both online and at home.  It affects things like where I go on vacation.  Theres a neat network out there, enjoy it.

Pretty much what /\ Tomsawyer posted.
Thats how we (wife/me) look at brewing, in racing I called it track time nothing beats actually doing it, hands on & getting dirty.

I think its going on 5yrs?  54 batchs +/- last year alone, a handfull of beer trips to Belgium for research  and we've meet a few homebrewers in NL & Be.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 02:47:48 pm »

Have fun with it.

Paul
This year will be our 6th annual Oktoberfest.  Last year we went through 5 full cornies and 4 partials, 60 pounds of homemade sausage, pretzels and lots of other food.  Several area homebrewers bring their own beer and food, it's a great time.
To the OP my best advice is to marry a person who enjoys the addiction as much as you do, whether or not they ever brew with you.  My wife doesn't brew with me but loves the homebrew parties and the homebrewers I've met online and visited during our travels.  I have not met an ass*ole homebrewer yet.  She loves setting up beer oriented vacations because she knows it won't be just drinking all day, but places that make great beer tend to be places worth visiting for other things.  She bought me my first equipment kit  back in 1992 and has gone above and beyond in supporting me with my homebrewing.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 05:56:02 pm »
I heard my name.....?

Welcome you are one of us now....whoaahahhahahahahha......

Me, I started in October....straight to kegging, and now 10 gallon all grain after 5 batches of extract. Haven't had a bad batch yet....(oh no, I have tempted the beer gods.....). Friday will be WSBW # 0009-AG. It's all good dude.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline carpenter

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 07:31:14 pm »
wow. thanks for all the advice and support. i'm sure i'll have a lot of questions for all of you. right now i am just hoping my first brew is at least potable. i'll let you know how it turns out.

...actually here is my first question. my first brew was a brewers best english brown ale extract kit. my og was 42 and the recipe said it should be between 45 and 49. my fg was 7 and the recipe said it should be 11 to 15. during the brew everything was right on temp wise and time wise. it fermented out pretty fast and i bottled it 12 days after brewing it. i did taste it after gravity tests and it seemed ok but what am i going to have when i crack it open?

this is going to be a long two weeks. anyway thanks again and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34:01 pm »
Did you calibrate your hydrometer? Water at 60º should read 0. Those little paper cards in there tend to shift. Mine reads .002 high.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 08:10:16 pm »
Did you calibrate your hydrometer? Water at 60º should read 0. Those little paper cards in there tend to shift. Mine reads .002 high.

Yep, should read 1.000 in 60 degrees F distilled water.  Both of mine read .003 high.

Also, to see if your gravity is really where it should be you need to accurately measure your volume.  Your lower than expected numbers could be because your volume is actually more than the designed recipe volume.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 08:13:35 pm »
wow. thanks for all the advice and support. i'm sure i'll have a lot of questions for all of you. right now i am just hoping my first brew is at least potable. i'll let you know how it turns out.

...actually here is my first question. my first brew was a brewers best english brown ale extract kit. my og was 42 and the recipe said it should be between 45 and 49. my fg was 7 and the recipe said it should be 11 to 15. during the brew everything was right on temp wise and time wise. it fermented out pretty fast and i bottled it 12 days after brewing it. i did taste it after gravity tests and it seemed ok but what am i going to have when i crack it open?

this is going to be a long two weeks. anyway thanks again and any advice is greatly appreciated.

You'll have beer my good man! Beer!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 08:21:10 pm »
Oh, and if you don't brew again now, you'll have a lapse in homebrew! Good god. man! NO beer!  :D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member