Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping.....  (Read 5574 times)

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
Re: Dry hopping.....
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 02:35:16 pm »
"Bag taste"?  Nobody has ever told me my dry hopped beers tasted "baggy"! 

Its probably all in my head. I may have just let the dry hops go for too long in the past and got vegetal flavors. Either way, I've stopped using them and my beer is turning out better.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 02:39:59 pm »
If you want to find out for sure, split the next batch you're going to dry hop.  Use a bag for one half and put the hops in loose for the other.  Then do a blind triangle test.  Have someone else pour 2 samples of one beer and one of the other.  Try and pick out the one that's different, then try to identify which one it is.  You may be surprised.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 02:54:47 pm »
If you want to find out for sure, split the next batch you're going to dry hop.  Use a bag for one half and put the hops in loose for the other.  Then do a blind triangle test.  Have someone else pour 2 samples of one beer and one of the other.  Try and pick out the one that's different, then try to identify which one it is.  You may be surprised.
Good call, Denny. I've never split a batch nor have I gone about testing quality like that before. Sounds like a great way to identify the issue.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 03:22:28 pm »
"Bag taste"?  Nobody has ever told me my dry hopped beers tasted "baggy"! 

Tubercle usually boils the bags before use. You know a taste test of the water is going to happen next time ;D I now use paint strainer bags, hopefully the taste will be neutral so I can get some sleep between the black helicopters.

I use disposable muslin bags.  I pout them in a bowl of water in the miocrowave for a couple minutes to sanitize them.  Why taste the water?  That's not going into your beer...I hope!  And any flavor on the water no longer remains in the bag, anyway.  Bottom line is that I've dry hopped both with and without a bag and found no difference in taste.

Got some muslin bags also. Why taste the water? Because its there...just got to know. :D :D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee