Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing bottles on their sides  (Read 7151 times)

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Storing bottles on their sides
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 02:01:40 pm »
I may not risk my bottles of Darkness this way

Why not do a side by side with your Darkness?  Or do you not have 10+ bottles from the last 4 years like me (should be a fun vertical for their 10th anniversary batch)?

And for a bit of useful advice, Oxygen isn't the only problem.  Do what you can to protect these from light (mainly of the UV variety).  There is a reason that beer and wine have been traditionally stored in cellars.  It's dark down there!
Founding member, California Street Brewery

jaybeerman

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 03:00:51 pm »
This makes sense in newly bottled beer, but makes no sense in wine that has been stored for a year if the bottle is well sealed.  I would suspect that the test was designed for newly bottled product (lots of breweries test random bottles right off of the line) and they just follow the same procedure for older product because it's a good idea to always follow the same procedure. Or maybe they don't understand physics :)  If you did side by side well-sealed aged bottles and shook one and not the other, I would be bet beer that the readings would be within the margin of error.

You're correct that this test (beer) is most often performed straight off the line.  I guess I don't understand why they (wine test) mechanically shook the bottles after a year,  seems that it wasn't for the reason I thought.  Well, same conclusion, I still wouldn't actually lay the bottles down no matter what the closure was.    cheers, j

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 11:22:01 pm »
I guess I don't understand why they (wine test) mechanically shook the bottles after a year,  seems that it wasn't for the reason I thought.  Well, same conclusion, I still wouldn't actually lay the bottles down no matter what the closure was.    cheers, j
I don't know why they do it either, there could very well be a reason I don't know about, but if there is, I don't know about it ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 05:10:17 am »
I don't know why they do it either, there could very well be a reason I don't know about, but if there is, I don't know about it ;D

very simple reason, Tom..... it's because you don't know about it
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 12:17:18 am »

very simple reason, Tom..... it's because you don't know about it
Somehow that makes perfect sense ;)
Tom Schmidlin