Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Complements  (Read 6402 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Complements
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:34:57 am »
Homebrewing is a pretty solo hobby around here, and while my wife usually raves about the beers I make, I know she'd say that no matter what (which is nice of course). But last night during The Game Which Shall Not Be Discussed a friend of mine (godfather for our little fella) told me, about my super-hoppy IPA, "This beer is amazing. Seriously, you could have this in an English pub next to Guinness and Fuller's and it wouldn't be out of place." How neat is it to hear something like that!??! Super happy :-)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Complements
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:12:28 am »
 Its awesome when someone really appreciates the results of our efforts to brew a great beer.  Grats!
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:55:29 am »
I love getting compliments from my fiance about the beers I make... and she's probably my toughest critic becaue she's been so used to commercial american lager beers.  But I'm winning her over.  We went out to a brewpub friday night, and she was trying a couple different beers.  She even said she could taste a tiny bit of grapefruit in the hydrometer sample of a batch I have fermenting.  (I did use cascade hops).  She's learning and it makes me very happy. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 07:43:25 am »
Good to get compliments, even better when someone likes a hoppy beer.

I've found hoppy pale ales to be one of the styles thats easiest to get right.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 12:27:49 pm »
The Game Which Shall Not Be Discussed

When did they start naming the games?

I keed, It is an awesome feeling, the complement that is.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:20:32 pm »
There are two kinds of compliments on home brew.

The ones where they say "That's great!" and when you offer them another they say "No, I've had enough, but thanks anyway". :'(

And those that say "Can I have another"? before you ask. ;D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 05:44:25 pm »
Homebrewing is a pretty solo hobby around here, and while my wife usually raves about the beers I make, I know she'd say that no matter what (which is nice of course). But last night during The Game Which Shall Not Be Discussed a friend of mine (godfather for our little fella) told me, about my super-hoppy IPA, "This beer is amazing. Seriously, you could have this in an English pub next to Guinness and Fuller's and it wouldn't be out of place." How neat is it to hear something like that!??! Super happy :-)

Congrats, and be happy you your friends like beer other than BMC.    :)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 07:28:44 pm »
There are two kinds of compliments on home brew.

The ones where they say "That's great!" and when you offer them another they say "No, I've had enough, but thanks anyway". :'(

And those that say "Can I have another"? before you ask. ;D

Tonight someone said:"I can drink this all day"..... I took that as a compliment.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 11:40:07 pm »
My friends politely ask for the first beer but then just help themselves to the kegs afterwards if they like it. Depending what's on tap they slurp it down. And then I hear that kicking keg sound... 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 01:07:35 am »
My favorite complement came from my neighbor's father, visiting from Ireland.  I made a batch of my Irish Stout, and he said "it'll do until I find something better".  I didn't know he actually like it until I told his son what he'd said, and his son said "oh!  that's high praise!".

Then I found out that when he got home to Ireland he bragged to his friends in the pub that his son lives across the street from a guy who "makes a pint of the black stuff better than Guinness". ;D

He might be a bit biased though, I named the beer after him.  With a name like that Seamus O'Brien, how could I not?  ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 01:31:46 am »
The Game Which Shall Not Be Discussed

When did they start naming the games?

Quiddich
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 01:49:04 am »
My favorite complement came from my neighbor's father, visiting from Ireland.  I made a batch of my Irish Stout, and he said "it'll do until I find something better".  I didn't know he actually like it until I told his son what he'd said, and his son said "oh!  that's high praise!".

Then I found out that when he got home to Ireland he bragged to his friends in the pub that his son lives across the street from a guy who "makes a pint of the black stuff better than Guinness". ;D

He might be a bit biased though, I named the beer after him.  With a name like that Seamus O'Brien, how could I not?  ;)

Care to share the recipe? :-)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 02:34:15 am »
Care to share the recipe? :-)
I'm happy to, but you'll have to remind me.  I got a new laptop a while back and haven't transferred my recipes over yet.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 05:05:14 am »
The best compliment I had was,another home brewer trying one of my beers, asking for the recipe and actually brewing it.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 09:40:41 am »
I geuss the best compliment I have had so far is that two friends of mine asked me to brew my california common (Ahh to hell with copyright! it's a steam beer) for their wedding this summer!

That and my mother in law who only really likes hefe has been slowly chipping away at the case of barley wine I have stored at her house.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce