Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: markings on caps  (Read 2839 times)

Offline therealmccoy

• 1st Kit
markings on caps
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:19:01 pm »
Just to make sure I'm clear...

I can mark my caps now and then when I send them in for the upcoming "National Homebrew Competition" for 2011 I can 'mark out' my identification on the caps... color it in is as black circle?

Thanks.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: markings on caps
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:18:33 am »
Yes, you can color the cap in with a sharpie and call it good.  I've never heard of a bottle being rejected from any competition for that.  Check with the competition organizer for your region to be sure, and alcohol works pretty well at removing sharpie if it comes to that.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:29:34 am »
This rule has always been a pet peeve for me.  Most comps put a sticker on the cap to identify the entry number and sometimes the style number, so whatever was written on the cap will be covered up. 
I like to write the style right on the cap and leave it there so that the cellar-master doesn't get my entries all mixed up when he is organizing them for the judging.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:13:41 am »
Sharpie will come off with an alcohol wipe, in case you want to remove the markings.

Kai

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 06:52:49 am »
I write all over my bottles, carboys and kegs with a Sharpie or paint marker.  I usually use just a tiny dab of toothpaste on a paper towel to wipe it off.

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:12:03 am »
Just to make sure I'm clear...

I can mark my caps now and then when I send them in for the upcoming "National Homebrew Competition" for 2011 I can 'mark out' my identification on the caps... color it in is as black circle?

Thanks.
Hi The Real McCoy,

The reason for the blacked out cap is to remove identifying marks from the entry when it is sitting on the judges table at the competition.  If you can remove your marks with an alcohol wipe, that is only part of the problem.  If there is a logo on the cap, that must be blacked out too.  It would be best for you to black out the cap before sending your entry to the National Homebrew Competition (NHC), but the crews checking in the entries will have markers for that purpose too.

More importantly, if you black out the cap yourself, wait until you have the competition label attached to the bottle before you black out the cap.  That way you can verify that you have attached the correct label to the bottle.

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
     Janis
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:13:45 am by Janis »
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline therealmccoy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 10:44:27 pm »