Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do Pur water filters add minerals to your water?  (Read 4036 times)

Offline revolutionisbrewing

• 1st Kit
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Revolution Is Brewing
Do Pur water filters add minerals to your water?
« on: January 23, 2011, 05:02:55 pm »
I use a Pur 3-Stage water filter attached to the sink for filtering my brewing water.  The 3rd stage supposedly lets the water run over a mineral bed which imparts a "better flavor" to the water.  I assume that means it's adding minerals to my water.  I'm wondering if that is the case, and if so, are they minerals that will affect my water profile for brewing?  Which ones?  Is it adding enough to the water to make a noticeable difference?
Star City Brewers Guild

Keg: English Brown
Primary: Belgian Artisanal Amber
Conditioning: Belgian Double IPA with Brett C, Flanders Red, All-Brett Pale

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
Re: Do Pur water filters add minerals to your water?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 03:44:28 pm »
If I were you, I'd skip over the opinions/guesses you might get from a forum and just get your water analyzed.  I've always been happy with the results from Ward Labs.

http://wardlab.com

Test 'W-6' should give you all the info you need for brewing.   If you are _really_ curious, you could send them two samples of pre- and post-filtered water.

jaybeerman

Re: Do Pur water filters add minerals to your water?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:07:53 pm »
I use a Pur 3-Stage water filter attached to the sink for filtering my brewing water.  The 3rd stage supposedly lets the water run over a mineral bed which imparts a "better flavor" to the water.  I assume that means it's adding minerals to my water.  I'm wondering if that is the case, and if so, are they minerals that will affect my water profile for brewing?  Which ones?  Is it adding enough to the water to make a noticeable difference?

No worries.  I know Pur has multiple types of sink/faucet filters so your best bet is to get out that gigantic pamplet and look through the list.  You'll be fine and if you're real serious about knowing your water numbers you can like the previous post mentioned send in a sample of the filtered water, if that's the water you'll be using for all of your brews.  cheers, j