Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: MYPD versus Wort  (Read 2508 times)

Offline klickcue

• 1st Kit
MYPD versus Wort
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:06:40 am »
I know that some of you grow yeast as a profession.

Which product will give the fastest return on yeast reproduction, MYPD or Beer Wort?

MYPD:
malt extract, 3 g/l
yeast extract, 3 g/l
peptone, 2 g/l
glucose/dextrose 10 g/l

The MYPD ratios could be increased.

Thoughts?

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: MYPD versus Wort
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:04:22 am »
I never used MYPD but have tought about this. Unless you have all these ingredients readily available, using wort seems to me the most economic solution for growing yeast.

But I'd be interested in the difference in yeast growth as well.

Kai

Offline klickcue

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 09:51:28 am »
I never used MYPD but have tought about this. Unless you have all these ingredients readily available, using wort seems to me the most economic solution for growing yeast.

But I'd be interested in the difference in yeast growth as well.

Kai
Have the ingredients since they are used for plates and slants using agar.

It appears that the yeast likes the simpler sugar, but haven't done a cell count for the growth curve. Does it appear to produce healthier cells?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 11:10:39 am »

It appears that the yeast likes the simpler sugar, but haven't done a cell count for the growth curve. Does it appear to produce healthier cells?

Don't you though end up with the same problem as if you made starters with sugar water?  That is, you may end up with more yeast, but they'll be yeast with a taste for glucose and not so much for maltose.
Joe

Offline klickcue

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 05:49:57 pm »

Don't you though end up with the same problem as if you made starters with sugar water?  That is, you may end up with more yeast, but they'll be yeast with a taste for glucose and not so much for maltose.
thus the point of having the malt extract.

I am thinking more of the build solutions from a slant or plate.

The MYPD first build from a slant to 10 ml of MYPD to 400 ml of MYPD looks good under the 'scope with methylene blue. Didn't do a cell count.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:40:50 pm »
I haven't tested it, the plates and media I use for growth use YPD, which is only glucose, but that is only for growing 3 mls for freezing or as a first step after picking a colony from a plate.  Everything else gets wort with nutrient added.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 01:04:17 pm »
Doesn't look like there'd be much difference between the MYPD and a wort with some Wyeast nutrient added.  The malt extract part is identical obvisously, the nutrient has yeast extract, peptone is amino acids which boiled wort has, and the sugars are basically the same (maltose being a disaccharide of two glucose molecules, and yeast having an invertase enzyme).

Lennie
Hannibal, MO