Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Not Pretty, but mine  (Read 4399 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Not Pretty, but mine
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:46:57 pm »
Finished my keezer this week.  It isn't all fancy like some on this forum, but it was cheap.  Many thanks to Breckenridge Brewery for supplying the 10% AHA Discount on the 1st keg.
I can't figure out how to post a photo here, but I guess you can see it on my blog at www.onbeer.blogspot.com....sorry to plug my sorry assed blog here, but I am just pretty proud of my efforts.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:56:36 pm by gsandel »
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Not Pretty, but mine
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 02:13:36 am »
If you quote this post, you'll see the img tags and how they're used . . .

Tom Schmidlin

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
    • On Beer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 06:19:46 am »

Thanks for posting this for me Tom....but I still don't get how to insert the image between the img thingys and don't see it included above....everything I try doesn't do the trick...as in drag in or copy or copy the url in....

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 07:39:33 am »
Hey, I think it's pretty...... It delivers home brew at the right temperature right? That makes it pretty, period.

OK, in order to post a picture you need to find where it lives on the web, in this case your blog, then you right click on the picture and copy it's address..... Then you click on the image icon you see when you make a post here.... above the smiley's second from the left, and paste the address between the two center brackets.... like so: (and i'm using accolades for illustration, if I used brackets it would think it was a picture....)

{img}address of the picture{/img}

Hope this helps......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
    • On Beer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:35:30 am »
Thanks.  I think that the answer is that when I was trying to post pictures I didn't yet have them on my blog...I will try again soon with other stuff you all may be interested in.

Also, question:  I know what too short of a beer line does to the pour (foam), what does slightly too long do?  I can live with it taking some extra time, but does it affect the quality or create foam problems?  How do I know my 8 ft. of line is perfect?

I have a problem with the first pour of the day....(the beer in the faucet, shank, and hose).  That pour is always foamy.  The second pour (if done in succession) is much, much better, and the third is nearly perfect.  Any suggestions from the more experienced peanut gallery?

Many Thanks.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 09:38:50 am »
It can slow it down, you'll know 8 feet is perfect when it pours a pint the way you like it.

The reason it pours foamy for the first beer is because the shank and faucet are warm.  The beer warms up and releases CO2 as it passes through.  But the beer also cools the shank and faucet, so subsequent pours are not foamy.

You can either dump the first few ounces and get a nice pour, or just know it will be foamy at first.  I just accept the foam :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 09:55:52 am »
Yup, let the foam settle for a few moments, top it off. One of the ways to minimize this problem is to have a long shank, longer than you think you need. The piece of it in the fridge cools down, and conductivity helps cool down the tap. I can touch mine and they actually feel perceivably colder than ambient temperature.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
    • On Beer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:31:13 pm »
I was thinking that I would run the excess line down the side of the freezer in contact with the walls with the coils, or connect the shank to the wall with some copper, just to conduct cold from down low to the metal shank.  Alternately, a small fan to move cold air up into the top....the fan would take some purchase and more wiring....I think I will try the first idea (but my line may freeze when the keezer is running).  The situation may also improve with the addition of more kegs (thermal mass)....more beer is always the answer, isn't it?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:33:08 pm by gsandel »

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 03:45:11 am »
I was thinking that I would run the excess line down the side of the freezer in contact with the walls with the coils, or connect the shank to the wall with some copper, just to conduct cold from down low to the metal shank.  Alternately, a small fan to move cold air up into the top....the fan would take some purchase and more wiring....I think I will try the first idea (but my line may freeze when the keezer is running).  The situation may also improve with the addition of more kegs (thermal mass)....more beer is always the answer, isn't it?

Be careful with that, I have had frozen beer lines from the lines being too close to the freezer sides. Another data point, I run 15 foot beer line for each tap. My first pour and subsequent pours are perfect. I simply coil them up neatly and use zip ties to keep them that way.
Concord, NC

Offline geo1267

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 07:10:38 am »
It's functional and that's really all that matters. I am in the process of converting my chest freezer and was planning to do the same thing. Keep the CO2 outside and run a manifold for two taps. Currently I am just using a cobra tap in there, I will get around to finishing it someday.....

For a cheap and easy drip tray I was planning to borrow this idea. Get a stainless drywall mud pan and seal the seams with silicone so it wont leak and attach it to the freezer with velcro tape.   

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 07:38:58 am »
If you're worried about too much foam from the first beer, use a pitcher.  :)
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 07:45:32 am »
looks pretty to me.  you should see mine!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 07:48:10 am »
Looks like it will do the job to me.

Very Nice!
Ron Price

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 07:56:57 am »

Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 08:00:08 am »
Looks fine to me. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member