Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Lines  (Read 1748 times)

Offline SKUNKYBREWSTER138

• 1st Kit
Keg Lines
« on: May 25, 2017, 01:48:42 pm »
Keg was tapped a while ago and I left the CO2 on. Do I have to dismantle and clean the lines for the next brew?
Pijte pivo, které jste vařili sami.
Drink beer which you have boiled yourself.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Keg Lines
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 01:52:24 pm »
Some do, some don't clean at every keg blowing. How different will the new brew compared to the old? You say keg was tapped a while ago, did you mean to say it blew a while ago? If so, how long? Days, weeks, etc. Safe side would be to clean. With this, I don't keg, just info I have gleaned from reading here on the forum

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 07:17:19 am »
I have one of those homemade pumps for beer line cleaner (small pressure sprayer from Home Depot with a liquid-out post attached). When a keg blows, I'll run some beer line cleaner through the line and the tap for a minute or so. I'll leave the residual BLC in the lines until I hook up the next keg, which could be minutes if one is waiting, or a couple of weeks, depending on brewing schedule.

I'll also break down the entire "wet side" of the system, clean the parts thoroughly, and maybe replace the lines, but I only do this maybe every year or so.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 07:20:51 am »
Yesterday I took apart and cleaned two beer line quick disconnects, and after I took them apart I took a photo of the sequence and position of the components. That made it much easier to reassemble the QDs.

I had used both disconnects on and off for about 15 months, and while they weren't disgusting, they definitely benefited from cleaning. I plan to do that more often.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:27:26 am »
I aspire to clean the lines between every keg, but realistically it only happens every 5-6 kegs. My beer doesn't tend to sit in the lines for extended periods of time, and I haven't noticed any major issues (unless I have a beer w/strong flavors--e.g., something with major wood or spice notes, in which case I definitely clean).

Hmm...that's actually probably a good reminder that I should clean out my lines this week!
Facebook: Farke Brewing