Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: this forum is awesome  (Read 6825 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: this forum is awesome
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 10:29:37 am »
Besides the civility here I like the fact that everybody shares interests not exactly related to homebrewing but definitely related to the "I am a homebrewer" mindset.  Smoking meat, roasting coffee, making things like cheese and soap are all part of this wierd lifestyle we find ourselves in.

I'll second that motion.  ;)
Ron Price

ccarlson

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 10:39:10 am »
I agree that this forum has a lot going for it but I would like to see 1 change. On several occasions I've seen a civil discussion going on only to have one person come in and say something off the cuff and then say "and lock". I feel that the comment should be deleted and that person put on a temporary suspension for disrupting a thread that others are enjoying. Obviously, their only intent was to get the thread locked and many times they get their way. Just doesn't seem fair to me.

However, on a high note, keep up the good work!  :)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 10:52:24 am »
Besides the civility here I like the fact that everybody shares interests not exactly related to homebrewing but definitely related to the "I am a homebrewer" mindset.  Smoking meat, roasting coffee, making things like cheese and soap are all part of this wierd lifestyle we find ourselves in.

I've noticed quite a few - like me - keep reef tanks.  I guess it's the chemistry that interests people?  pH, fancy controllers, thousands of $ worth of equipment that seemed like a good idea at the time, water profiles and additives.  And building a balanced, attractive display of coral and other sea life seems to have some parallels with creating a recipe.  (The "Limited Edition" side of coral is more like the whale hunters/tickers on BeerAdvocate though...)  

Montiporaweizen, anyone?   ;D

cheers--
--Michael

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 10:56:23 am »
I agree that this forum has a lot going for it but I would like to see 1 change. On several occasions I've seen a civil discussion going on only to have one person come in and say something off the cuff and then say "and lock". I feel that the comment should be deleted and that person put on a temporary suspension for disrupting a thread that others are enjoying. Obviously, their only intent was to get the thread locked and many times they get their way. Just doesn't seem fair to me.

However, on a high note, keep up the good work!  :)

Thanks for your thoughts.  The mods will take that into consideration in the future.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 10:57:37 am »
Learning homebrewing in Italy is like learning in a vacuum.  This forum has been a huge help for me.  :)
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 11:34:12 am »
I get the warm fuzzies reading this thread. If only more people were like homebrewers, the world would be a better place.

Learning homebrewing in Italy is like learning in a vacuum.  This forum has been a huge help for me.  :)

Mia moglie ha origini italiane. Cerchiamo di visitare di tanto in tanto ... Fatemi sapere se si desidera condividere homebrew.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 09:52:19 pm »

I've noticed quite a few - like me - keep reef tanks.  I guess it's the chemistry that interests people?  pH, fancy controllers, thousands of $ worth of equipment that seemed like a good idea at the time, water profiles and additives.  And building a balanced, attractive display of coral and other sea life seems to have some parallels with creating a recipe.  (The "Limited Edition" side of coral is more like the whale hunters/tickers on BeerAdvocate though...)  

Montiporaweizen, anyone?   ;D

cheers--
--Michael
Actually what I find amazing is the low tech aspect of of all this.  Who knew that making soap was so simple, that making vinegars or roasting coffee can be done at home with little or no special equipment.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2011, 09:31:35 am »
I have been on Northern Brewer's forum for a while, but I joined AHA recently and I am enjoying this forum and the other benefits of AHA membership.  No doubt the people who are homebrewers make homebrewing special.  Thanks, folks!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 10:35:29 am »
I am not one to call out problems but I have heard that some forums will answer questions with "Why don't you use the search function?"  
(Moderators) do an excellent job of reminding everyone to keep it civil;  and we choose to listen.  That is good for everybody.
+1
Everyone's #1 priority is making good beer, and for that I'm very appreciative.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati