Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: H**lth Food  (Read 8146 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: H**lth Food
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 11:30:56 am »
The challenge for us is buying sushi-grade fish in the landlocked midwest.  Kansas City is big enough I'm sure it could be had but probably at a steep premium.  Fish in general is quite costly.  The cheapest fish around is either local catfish or frozen bags of tilapia filets.

Sushi rolls aren't hard to make at all, I think, from my one experience doing so.  However, if I did them again, I would leave out the nori...helps with rolling but if you aren't doing fish sushi it leaves a wretched fishy stink.  And wasabi isn't much to my liking...I like my heat more in a birdseye chili sort of way than in a horseradish, mustardy sort of way.  Here was my attempt, a korean bulgogi roll and a spam and pineapple roll!

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 11:48:23 am »
The challenge for us is buying sushi-grade fish in the landlocked midwest.  Kansas City is big enough I'm sure it could be had but probably at a steep premium.  Fish in general is quite costly. 
Whole Foods normally has a good selection, but it is pricey.  The good news is that in rolls, it tends to go further than with the nigiri rolls.  Sometimes to spread the costs out, we'll have roll your own sushi parties at our house.  Just get a bunch of ingredients, veggies, sushi-grade fish, and shrimp.  Do up some tempura with the shrimp and some of the veggies and make some Spicy Sauce so that people can put some on their fish if they want and let everyone go to town.  When everyone pitches in for fish, it's normally not too bad.

We have a couple of slabs of marble that we lay the rolls out on, then with a wax pen on the marble you can "label" what each roll is and let everyone take what they want.  It's a pretty fun way to do it!

Those rolls look and sound pretty tasty!  Good work on the Pearl Sake too, good stuff!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 12:34:39 pm »
Since I don't trust the raw stuff behind the counter usually the option is for cooked stuff like imitation crab-meat or smoked salmon.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 03:50:16 pm »
Something I'm trying to do too... Couple of things I've come across recently that I think will help me along with others...

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/minisite/ce_index.htm - pretty simple concept.

http://www.ted.com/talks/graham_hill_weekday_vegetarian.html -overall this is a pretty cool site.

But the hardest part for me is I'm a carnivore, I love meat! Reducing it has been difficult, but to counter that lately I've add
a ton more veges to my meals, trying to eat more seafood too. Today I just made some hummus, never been a big fan of it, but decided, hey, I need a healthier snack... turned out pretty good with the flatbread I got. next time I'll change it up a bit and try a different version of it.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 07:23:01 pm »
i hear this all the time "doc, i would love to lose weight but i dont have the time"  i dont care.  exercise for fitness. not weight loss.  any weight loss from exercise can be considered a bonus.  then i get what foods should i eat.  again.  i dont care.  fix the portion control first.  control the appetite. eat the kind of foods you like. just less.  as far as meat goes. it has gotten a bad rap.  true, beef/fat will raise your cholesterol but it raises hdl more than ldl and your ratio actually gets better.  fix the weight first by appetite control.  soon, your body will let you know what to eat.  i had a patient who had borderline cholesterol.  he became a vegan without weight change and his lipid profile is actually a little worse. his ldl dropped by a point or two and his hdl plummeted. bottom line, you drink what you enjoy in moderation (hopefully), eat in moderation.
Don AHA member

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 07:23:04 am »
I have a couple of these every week during the growing season, a cool,crisp cuccumber,tomato,onion sandwich ;D

Oh yeah almost forgot:

03-30-2010
Cholesterol 120 - triglycerides 47 - HDL 56 - LDL 55

12- 21, 2007
Cholesterol 266 with the bad being 185

I eat the same as before and just take some niacin, dr said my diet was always good.

Mostly chicken --> fish  - - -> red meat, with lots of veggies. Pizza or whatever junkfood 1-2 times a month and 3 beers per day max.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 09:50:54 am »
I just like plain old cucumber sandwiches, buttered bread and cucumber, and some coarse salt.  However, not very filling at all, but a great snack.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 10:06:32 am »
Heres a simple but good meal:

2 chicken breast resting on a bed of chopped green peppers & onions, some fresh basil,garlic, tomatoe slices, add a couple shavings of pecorino romano & chevrion goat cheese, bit of butter and drizzle with olive oil.

Grill for 20 min high , serve on a bed of angle hair with a glass of Doenkerbloend ale.

--------

A fast n simple southwest chipotle spiced chicken dinner that will sit on a bed of spinach. Make  3 layers with onion/spice between each and top with more onion/spice with a little southwest sauce. wrap & bake 45min 325f, lay on bed of  spinach with more sauce.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:03:25 pm by uthristy »

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 11:23:18 am »
Gawd, that looks good!  And easy to make!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 01:20:29 pm »
now i am just damn hungry, and i already overate at lunch, like i said portion control. but that is the hard part with so many wonderful, tasty, delicious, readily available options....
Don AHA member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 03:04:55 pm »
mmm...mmm...good!

My mouth is watering.
Ron Price

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 12:23:28 pm »
Bigass Zucchini boats
serves two:
2 very large zucchinis hollowed out ---> Bush Baby (F1) grown out
1 green pepper ----> Lantern (F1)
2 onions (Texas white & red),
2 cloves of garlic ----- > Ajo Rojo
1 mid sized chicken breast

stir fry together with pat of butter,olive oil and 1/2cup Sockarooni sauce
grate some parmesan  & lay inside boat, fill with cooked chicken and add more parmesan  ;D

Cook at 325f for 30min

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:36:25 pm by uthristy »

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 04:31:36 pm »
 Would one of you mederators please lock and/or delete this thread? It's making me uncomfortable.  :-\
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 09:17:50 am »
Ginger Chicken

1 chicken breast covered with ginger dressing,  wrap and bake 30min @ 325 and serve on a bed of spinach.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:05:53 pm by uthristy »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 11:40:04 am »
Would one of you mederators please lock and/or delete this thread? It's making me uncomfortable.  :-\

How about if I sign you up for an RSS feed of it instead?  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell