Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chest freezer for fermentation chamber  (Read 14324 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Re: Chest freezer for fermentation chamber
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 06:56:46 pm »
If an upright, a frost free fridge would beat an upright freezer in my opinion.  Then you wouldn't have to deal with the moisture build up by using damp rid, a fan, or a dehumidifier.  Me, I have a chest freezer, and moisture is a problem unless actively mitigating.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 07:29:06 pm »
Some upright freezers use the shelves as cooling coils.  A fridge would be your best bet.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 07:30:08 pm »
Doesn't the "frost free" in frost free fridge refer to the freezer portion?  Why would there be frost in the refrigerator portion?  Maybe I don't understand that feature.
Joe

chargerssb

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 09:16:52 pm »
Okay, so I had to compromise due to price and size.  I ended up getting the Kenmore 5.1 cu ft. chest freezer.  We really got it to store milk for a while as we have 2 month old son and want to stock up on that in the freezer until later.  After that though I am using it as a fermentation chamber.  I put my 6.5 gallon carboy in there today and it fits perfect.  However, I didn't put an airlock on it to see if it would fit with that on there (it is being used for a yeast starter).  With a blowoff tube though it would fit perfect.  Being able to fit only one carboy isn't ideal, but it is better than nothing; and great for now as I never really have more than one batch going at a time (small condo not much room).  Thanks for the tips on how to set it up with the temp. controller.  Can't wait until I can use it.