Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2011 SN Bigfoot  (Read 5950 times)

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
2011 SN Bigfoot
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:23:16 am »
I eagerly await the release each year!! 

Picked up 2 sixpacks of the 2011 Bigfoot yesterday and split a 12oz with the wife.  Spectacular.  Sooo hoppy.  Sooo malty.  Absolutely beautiful beer -- deep mohagony red, light beige head, very good clarity.  Delectable aromas of rich sweet malt and pine/citrus/earthy hops.  Huge bitterness (90 ibu) from loads of chinook hops, yet still on the verge of very sweet from all the malt and 6* Plato finishing graivty(roughly 1.024)

I'd like to start collecting each year's edition and then do vertical tastings.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: 2011 SN Bigfoot
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:02:56 am »
I'd like to start collecting each year's edition and then do vertical tastings.

I thought about doing this last year but drank it all.  Guess I need to buy a bigger quantity this year.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:49:46 am »
That's why I try to buy a case. I have 2006 to present in my brew-closet. Glad to see the '11 is out finally. It'll be fun to do a 6 year vert sampling.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:50:30 am »
I did a sort of vertical with a 2007 and a 2010 last year. the difference was amazing. the 2007 was all caramelly dark fruits and the 2010 was like a really strong IPA. I honestly liked the 2007 much better although I could tell the 2010 would be a great beer in a couple of years. Unfortunatly none of mine made it that far. I was thining about grabbing some of the 2011 but decided to wait a little while.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 10:49:06 am »
I'll have to pick up a sixer of this very fine beer. I can't believe how fast this past year has passed. It seems like I just bought the 2010 SN Bigfoot and the 2011 is now out. Time flies when your brewing beer.  8)
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:54:15 am »
I'll have to pick up a sixer of this very fine beer. I can't believe how fast this past year has passed. It seems like I just bought the 2010 SN Bigfoot and the 2011 is now out. Time flies when your brewing beer.  8)

I agree, time has flown.

jaybeerman

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 04:11:31 pm »
That's why I try to buy a case. I have 2006 to present in my brew-closet. Glad to see the '11 is out finally. It'll be fun to do a 6 year vert sampling.

geezus that sounds awesome, hope you have some friends/family to share the joy with.  If I did a 6 year vertical with less than two friends you'd find me very horizontal and face down. cheers, j
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:41:01 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:10:12 pm »
I love this year's batch, but the verdict is still out on its aging potential.  :-\

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (2011 Expedition)

I've been hunting Bigfoot & collecting trophy cases for the last decade or so.
Here's a vertical that we drank last year.  :-*

Bigfoot Expeditions (1999-2010)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 07:24:43 am »
That's beautiful Jeff...looks like I need to go find some this weekend. If OK is getting it, TX should too.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 09:44:05 am »
I got to do a 12 year vertical Bigfoot tasting last year.  What we all found were that there were more similarities than differences from year to year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 09:57:09 am »
eh, I used to collect a lot of them early in the 2000s, buying a case each year and aging them.

I found that 2 years was the breakpoint, and then they start becoming malt rocketfuel.

I quit buying cases in 2008, now I just buy 1-2 six packs and enjoy some now and some later, but oddly I seem to like it fresh the best.

I know I'm probably rare in that regard as most people prefer it well aged. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:58:54 am »
eh, I used to collect a lot of them early in the 2000s, buying a case each year and aging them.

I found that 2 years was the breakpoint, and then they start becoming malt rocketfuel.

I quit buying cases in 2008, now I just buy 1-2 six packs and enjoy some now and some later, but oddly I seem to like it fresh the best.

I know I'm probably rare in that regard as most people prefer it well aged. 

Blatz, I think my experiences are similar to yours.  I've been collecting a sixer a year since I think 2005 or 2006, and I'm not sure I have anything over 3 years old now, but I found that I liked it best at 2 years too.  That said, I'm still curious to see if my tastes have changed and I may let another row of beers stack up for a few years and see if my opinion has changed.

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 09:12:19 am »
I usually only grab a bottle or two each year. I drink one the night I get it and save the other for "later". I dont think one's ever lasted more than a week or two. That's "aged" in my house!!!!
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 07:19:34 pm »
Sippin on my first of the 2011 right now.  I have to say that I don't think it's anything spectacular.  I mean, it's a good beer and I'll drink the six pack I bought but I won't go back for more.  It's like it can't decide if it's a hop bomb or a malt bomb. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 07:23:11 pm »
Sippin on my first of the 2011 right now.  I have to say that I don't think it's anything spectacular.  I mean, it's a good beer and I'll drink the six pack I bought but I won't go back for more.  It's like it can't decide if it's a hop bomb or a malt bomb. 

I am on the lookout for the 2011 vintage. I want to do a comparison to the 2010 vintage just to see the effects of age on the malt profile in one year.
Ron Price