Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mom, have you seen Dad lately? No, but stay out of the freezer in the garage.  (Read 4804 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster

This is a true story, it just came out in our local paper this morning.  Did nobody ever ask where he went, or look around at all?

UPDATED: Woman stored husband in freezer until her death, investigators learn (1:06 p.m.)
By Matlin Smith
Current-Argus Staff Writer
Posted: 01/26/2011 02:01:06 PM MST

CARLSBAD — Investigators with the Eddy County Sheriff's Office have released bizarre details in the case of the human body found Monday evening in the freezer of a home south of town.
According to information from Capt. Jeff Zuniga, at 7:50 p.m. Monday, the body of a human male was discovered in a chest-type freezer at a residence on the 1200 block of Haston Road by two local residents who were cleaning out the home of a deceased relative.

The pair loaded the freezer into the back of a pickup truck and transported it to the Carlsbad Police Department. After determining that the incident occurred in the county, the CPD turned the investigation over to the ECSO.

"The body located within the freezer may be that of James Sharpe of Carlsbad, who has been unaccounted for since 1997," said Zuniga.

James Sharpe was known to be the husband to the late Barbara Sharpe, who passed away in November 2010 of health complications at the age of 63.

Information gathered during the investigation leans towards the possibility that James Sharpe may have dued due to a terminal health condition in 1997; he would have been in his early 70s then, said investigators.

"Barbara had mentioned to a health care worker prior to her death that she had stored her late husband in a freezer. The health care worker dismissed the statement due to Barbara Sharpe's grave condition," Zuniga stated.

Additionally, documentation allegedly drafted by Barbara Sharpe was found in her personal

property explaining why her husband was in the freezer.
This documentation reportedly indicated that she was remorseful, but couldn't afford to survive without his retirement income.

Prior to discovery, the freezer reportedly was in Barbara Sharpe's bedroom on Haston Road.

"The ECSO Special Investigations Unit will continue to work closely with the Office of the Medical Investigator to confirm the official identity of the decedent as well as the cause and manner of death," said Zuniga.

Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Hmmm, seems like if you converted it to a keezer, you could come up with some interesting names for it and/or the brews in it.
Joe

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Hmmm, seems like if you converted it to a keezer, you could come up with some interesting names for it and/or the brews in it.

You mean the real Dead Guy Ale?

Kai

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL

Rogue Dead Guy clone?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
such as "why so pale ale" or, "ol'stiff stout", "rigor mortis porter", "locked in lager"
Don AHA member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
I think you'd have to make an Eis Dead Guy :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Embalmer RIS.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
RIP RIS
Care for a Cold One?
Dead on Style and Pale Ale
Got Anything Stiffer Mild Ale?
The Iceman Always Rings Twice
Terminal Gravity IPA
Dead Ringer Berlinner Weisse

Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline classic

• 1st Kit
Refrigerator Doppelbock

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Alesmith's Evil Dead Ale.

What a bizarre story.  ???
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.

You mean the real Dead Guy Ale?

Kai

Kai, I honestly thought you were a cold German machine without a joke in you.  ;) ;D

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Kai, I honestly thought you were a cold German machine without a joke in you.  ;) ;D

I just had to abandon my heritage and make a joke. I knew I was racing a few other’s, like Blatz, who were thinking and typing the same thing.

But I didn’t end up being as creative as others. I like Weithman’s “Why So Pale Ale”.

Kai

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
This is NOT the ONLY game like it...been happening for years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_Dead_Guy_Days

I applaud the ole gal gettin one over on the pension police. ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:45:53 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
This is NOT the ONLY game like it...been happening for years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_Dead_Guy_Days

That site says "the city added a broad new provision to Section 7-34 of its Municipal Code, "Keeping of bodies", outlawing the keeping of "the whole or any part of the person, body or carcass of a human being or animal or other biological species which is not alive upon any property".

Sounds like you're out of luck if you buried Fido out in the backyard or are keeping Uncle Herb's ashes on the mantel.  :(
Joe

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
At least she kept him frozen.

A women in Des Moines, several years ago, put her husband's body in the back bedroom and opened the window about 2 inches.  Then she sealed the bedroom door and told everyone he had run away.  10 years later someone looked in the bedroom and called the police.  She did it to keep collecting his social security checks too.

Another women buried her husband beside the garage to keep the checks coming.

Seems all to common in this day and age.

Of course you could name your new kegerator "the old guys keeper".  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?