Other than Brewing > The Pub

Eye Opening Documentary

(1/12) > >>

blatz:
My wife forced me to watch Food Inc. last weekend. 

One word.  WOW.

If you have any inkling of wonder or curiousity about where your food comes from, you should watch this film. 

I know I personally complained about the cost when my wife has us buy everything organic and from farmer's markets, etc.  Never again.  And I can't say never as the situation may dictate, but I will try to never eat at a fast food restaurant again.

denny:
Blatz PM'ed me to see if I thought this topic would be too political and offered to delete it if it was.  At this point, I'm willing to let the post stay.  Please be courteous and respectful in your discussion, or it'll be gone in the blink of an eye!

Personally, we either grow a large % of the veg we eat, or buy organic, local stuff.  Chicken is about the only meat we eat, and we buy locally raised (within a few miles, actually) chicken.  Besides any potential environmental or health benefits, it simply tastes better to me.  I eat fast food only maybe 2-3 times a year when I'm stuck at work with a short break and have no other choice.

ndcube:
So it's about general food from the grocery store like regular canned corn vs orgranic canned corn or mainly about fast food?

dbeechum:

--- Quote from: ndcube on December 04, 2009, 01:19:01 PM ---So it's about general food from the grocery store like regular canned corn vs orgranic canned corn or mainly about fast food?

--- End quote ---

Its real focus is the giant scale industrial food production system we have going in this country, both meat and veg. If you've read any Michael Pollan (The Omnivore's Dilemma), it won't  come as any surprise. (Particularly since he was a consultant and narrator as was Eric Schlosser - author of Fast Food Nation)

On the one hand you can see it as a scathing indictment of the impact of the whole massive "cheap" food chain we have going here and on the other you can see it as yet another "hippie" attack on American businesses.

Personally, I think what's happening in food is scary from a health, ecological and even flavor perspective. About the one good thing you can say is: "at least it's cheap!"

blatz:

--- Quote from: ndcube on December 04, 2009, 01:19:01 PM ---So it's about general food from the grocery store like regular canned corn vs orgranic canned corn or mainly about fast food?

--- End quote ---

thanks denny - I hope we can keep it from being derailed (and deleted).

ndcube - its actually about both - its really amazing to see how the advent of fast food has driven the industrial manufacturing of food, meat in particular.  but as a result of the powerful hand of fast food, it has also changed the way the food is grown that we buy at the local grocery store.  

unfortunately, this change has made the wrong food choices very cheap (dollar menu at McDs) and has forced the hand, so to speak, of a lot of lower income families.  the increasing frequency of diabetes is one negative result.

I'm going to check out Omnivore's Dilemma and Fast Food Nation next - the authors of those books contributed/narrated the movie.

I encourage everyone to at least watch it - and take what you want away from it.  I know I personally am very concerned about what I eat, so this has naturally swayed me in one direction, but others may have a different perspective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version