Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Labs WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast  (Read 7015 times)

Offline kkralicek

• 1st Kit
White Labs WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:35:21 pm »
I bought some White Labs WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast from a local store the other day. Got home and noticed that the yeast had a best before date of Dec 31 2010. I should have known considering I bought grains that had bugs in them from the same vendor. All that aside... What is the average time that fermentation starts with this yeast strain from others experience with this yeast? This is the first time making a Kölsch and using this yeast strain. So these are very uncharted territories for me. I will be very unhappy if the yeast don't go. Usually all of my beers start fermenting within 8 - 12hrs. The beer is fantastic and turned out almost exactly to BJCP standard. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: White Labs WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:31:21 am »
Make a big starter and it should be fine.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:15:23 am »
Absolutely make a starter with any vial or smack pack, but especially a kolsch. You will need to approximate more of a lager pitch for a kolsch. And keep the fermentation temp cool - low 60s. See http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html to get an idea what size starter you need. Use "hybrid" from the pull down menu.

Offline kkralicek

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 06:24:38 am »
Thanks for the advice but I have already pitched the yeast. Now what?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:11:32 am »
Chalk it up as a lesson learned. As Tom and major have indicated a starter is crucial to making great beer. Most beer recipes using liquid yeast reuire an appropriate size starter in order to allow for a healthy fermentation and good tasting beer. Without the required amount of yeast in your wort, the yeast will struggle to ferment the beer and undesireable fermentation by-products will be generated rendering your beer less than desireable. While you will make beer it will possess some of these undesireable fermentation by-products. If you have some dry yeast in your possession try pitching half pack to minimize any potential harm.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:21:48 am »
Thanks for the advice but I have already pitched the yeast. Now what?

Yeah, for the best beer you always need to make a starter. But in the meantime be sure you have aerated it extremely well. Uderpitching can cause problems. UNderpitching yeast that is close or past its expiration date can cause disasters. Being sure to aerate properly may alleviate some problems. I would recommend warming the beer up to around 72 dgrees as well. Normally I would never suggest to pitch this warm but warmer temps will help get things moving. Then slowly cool back down to the low 60s. If after 48 hours you still see no sign of fermentation you may need to pitch more yeast. One pack of US-05 should do the trick.

In the future, if you don't feel like messing with starters, I recommend just sticking with dry yeast. No starter needed.

Offline kkralicek

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 07:07:06 pm »
Well........ Stilll no activity this morning. So I pitched some good Wyeast 3068 and aerated well. So I guess I will call it a Wölsch. What in the heck do you think this will taste like? I am scratching my head and my newly fuzzy chin!

Offline kkralicek

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:37:53 am »
Well I have lift off. So has anyone ever used the Wyeast 3068 strain and how did it finish?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 05:34:16 am »
Well I have lift off. So has anyone ever used the Wyeast 3068 strain and how did it finish?

That's the Weihenstefan Bavarian Wheat yeast.  Expect clove phenols and some banana esters.  That should be interesting, sort of a German Wheat without the wheat.  Let us know how it tastes.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 06:24:06 am »
You brewed a dampfbier. Will taste a lot like a german wheat beer. Not a bad thing, but certainly not a kolsch.

Offline kkralicek

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 10:19:45 pm »
I found a read that explains that beer style. The Beer Gods may have had me stumble onto something good. Check it out: http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Dampfbier.html

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »
The beer gods appear to be a good natured bunch.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline kkralicek

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 04:45:06 am »
OH MAN!!!! Just racked this to the secondary and let me say......simply AMAZING!!!!! It literally is a Kolsch mixed with a very light wheat. Right now it is a little cloudy but maybe it will clear up really well. This is one I think everyone will have to try!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 07:32:49 am »
If you used a weizen yeast you shouldn't expect it to clear up. Most of the reason a hefeweizen is cloudy is because of the yeast in suspension. Drink it young and cloudy.