Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gap in the BJCP Weizens?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Gap in the BJCP Weizens?
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:44:33 pm »
I was checking out the BJCP style guidelines  The weizen has a color range of 2-8 SRM, the dunkelweizen has a color range of 14-23.  I hadn't noticed this before.  Where does a German wheat beer that has a color of 10-12 SRM fall?  Is it "take your pick"?  What other characteristics can I use to decide what category to enter a beer? 
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Gap in the BJCP Weizens?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:14:13 pm »
I was checking out the BJCP style guidelines  The weizen has a color range of 2-8 SRM, the dunkelweizen has a color range of 14-23.  I hadn't noticed this before.  Where does a German wheat beer that has a color of 10-12 SRM fall?  Is it "take your pick"?  What other characteristics can I use to decide what category to enter a beer? 

I looked on my BJCPdroid and you're right. Hadn't noticed the discrepancy if that's appropriate. Then again I miss alot of things...

To me its going to be flavor and beer strength that'll guide you in your decision. And make a note of it for the judges.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:00:04 pm »

No one has ever made a wheat that fell in-between the two groups  ;)  How would you characterize the beer?  Would you say it sits closer to one or the other?  It is a german wheat right?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 05:45:32 am »
There just aren't wheats which fall in the crack. Have a gander at an SRM scale and then name several (10-20) readily available commercial examples which are 9-13...if you could, then it might be valid for a revision.

I have made a pale Weizenbock before, but even it wasn't darker than an 8 SRM.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 06:14:28 am »
What is the SRM of Ayinger Ur-Weisse?  Its supposed to be a dunkelweizen, I was surprised it was as light as it was.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 06:50:56 am »

This is back lit with sunlight so it certainly couldn't appear much lighter.

(note: I have no idea if this is 100% accurate, just a quick one I found on the web)

The glass will make a difference and how much beer you are looking through. I'd guess if we stuck it in a pint glass it would appear to be more than a 13.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:41:09 am »
I was thinking 11 or 12 but its tough to tell.  Thanks for postin the pics and guide.

I understand now why there isn't overlap.  I was just surprised because there seems to be a lot of overlap in similar styles in general.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 12:01:42 pm »
I was thinking 13 SRM. And that Ayinger looks mighty tempting!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis