Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First AG batch......  (Read 8751 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: First AG batch......
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 06:55:30 pm »
This sounds like a good excuse for me to get an Extreme.  ;D

Lot's of good excuses to get one of those  ;)

But I'm going to agree that the malt conditioning probably helped here.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 07:23:27 pm »

The really cool thing about this cooler (oh man  :D) is the little ditch under the drain. In the 48qt model I have there was 1.5 qts of loss due to drain positioning (in spite of a 2x4 to tilt it towards the drain). In the 70QtXtreme there is less than 1/2 qt......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 07:28:16 pm »

The really cool thing about this cooler (oh man  :D) is the little ditch under the drain. In the 48qt model I have there was 1.5 qts of loss due to drain positioning (in spite of a 2x4 to tilt it towards the drain). In the 70QtXtreme there is less than 1/2 qt......
I think it's less than a cup dead space. Besides absorption you can really get the wort out on the extreme.

And you throttled back too? IMO that probably helped more than the conditioning lol but why not do both if it works.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2011, 06:27:38 am »
And you throttled back too? IMO that probably helped more than the conditioning lol but why not do both if it works.

Nah, I started slow the first time too and it never went anywhere. I am now in the "moisten your malt camp" with both feet in concrete boots. Again, the pics didn't do it justice but the difference was striking.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 08:38:57 am »
Glad the conditioning worked for ya! I've never had slow runoff problems so it probably won't enter my process. JSP non-adj. Maltmill and 70 qt. Extreme w/ 1/2" copper manifold(with 1/2" SS full port ball valve) designed per John Palmer's specs here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:59:57 am by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 11:47:15 am »

Or get a different screen.  Based on what you said earlier, I crush finer than you, and don't have any issues.

Denny, how much vorlaufing do you? And maybe a follow-up question is: how concerned are you with wort clarity going into the kettle?

Just curious as I have a MLT just like yours and to vorlauf the wort to the clarity I like, it's usually a minimum 2 gallons for mash and sparge which I'd say adds 20-30 minutes to my overall process.  This can be longer if I've got the time or a really cloudy wort.  I've dialed my crusher gap down from factory settings a bit, but doesn't sound like it's as tight as yours.  I get a fair amount of flour, so seems like you'd have really particulate-laden runnings.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 11:54:35 am »
Denny, how much vorlaufing do you? And maybe a follow-up question is: how concerned are you with wort clarity going into the kettle?

Just curious as I have a MLT just like yours and to vorlauf the wort to the clarity I like, it's usually a minimum 2 gallons for mash and sparge which I'd say adds 20-30 minutes to my overall process.  This can be longer if I've got the time or a really cloudy wort.  I've dialed my crusher gap down from factory settings a bit, but doesn't sound like it's as tight as yours.  I get a fair amount of flour, so seems like you'd have really particulate-laden runnings.

I seldom vorlauf over a qt. and never over 2 qt.  Usually the runnings are very clear at that point, but if they're not I don't sweat it as long as it's free of chunks.  Often it's clear enough to read a newspaper through after a qt.  I've never seen a correlation between clarity of runnings and quality of the finished beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 12:20:20 pm »
I seldom vorlauf over a qt. and never over 2 qt.

LIkewise, I use the stainless braid and I vorlauf clear usually after the first quart.  I do a second quart just out of habit as it's usually not really necessary.
Joe

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, 12:56:20 pm »
thanks Denny and hokerer.  Maybe a definition of 'clear' is hard to nail down.  I definitely get all the chunks out of there and even try and remove most cloudiness assuming tannin-producing husks are present in the flour - perhaps it's other parts of the kernels though, and so I shouldn't be worrying about it as much.  Was just trying to reduce tannin extraction with a little extra effort - maybe wasted effort though?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 02:00:20 pm »
Do you have a problem with tannins?  If not, it's wasted effort.  If so, pH is the first place to look, not the vorlauf.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2011, 02:30:02 pm »
Nope, not that I notice or have been notified of (through comps).  I guess just one of those warnings I remember from reading howtobrew years ago and has morphed into a habit for my own amusement.  I'm not SO amused that I wouldn't better prefer shortening my brewday though! :)  Thanks

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2011, 01:09:24 pm »
I seldom vorlauf over a qt. and never over 2 qt.

LIkewise, I use the stainless braid and I vorlauf clear usually after the first quart.  I do a second quart just out of habit as it's usually not really necessary.

I'd wondered how much vorlaufing seasoned pros do. Thanks!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2011, 06:07:39 pm »
I always vorlauf a quart or so, and it never really has much of anything in it.  We're talking a teaspoon worth of little chunks.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2011, 09:53:57 pm »
Like stated above, my definition of vorlaufing is "return the chunks."
I tend to do high-gravity beers.  (that's a different story).
Needless to say, the first runnings are pretty damn syrupy/thick looking.  It tends to look more opalescent or cloudy, IMO.
The first runnings are NOT translucent or clear.

The second (or third) runnings tend to be a lot more clear looking (like a hefeweizen or brownish ale).

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2011, 09:55:19 pm »
Like stated above, my definition of vorlaufing is "return the chunks."

Sounds like my style. ;D