Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for priming sugar  (Read 4033 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
Looking for priming sugar
« on: February 03, 2011, 04:08:47 pm »
I want to continue to support my LHBS and do with grain, hops, yeast and some equipment, but I can't help thinking that the mark up on priming sugar is too high.  It is corn sugar (Dextrose) pre packaged by the distributor in 5 oz ($1.00) and 4 lb packages. I know that powdered sugar from the supermarket won't work because it has corn starch included.  What is a suitable alternative for priming and/or where can I get corn sugar at a more reasonable price?

I have used LHBS Priming Sugar, DME, Honey, and Molasses to prime with and understand when to use each one to it's best advantage.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Looking for priming sugar
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 04:21:07 pm »
just use cane sugar, regular old table sugar works fine. As I understand it is interchangeable. as you are going to boil it into a syrup anyway...

*EDIT* although if you want a similar texture casting sugar or superfine is just cane sugar milled to a fine powder. thsi only matters if yoy are measureing by volume though
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 05:19:47 pm »
+1

Cane sugar is neutral and ferments completely. One should weigh it though and not go by volume.

You could use DME though it will follow your fermentation profile. So if you get 70% with this yeast then compensate.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:59:34 pm »
Plain table sugar works great.  Either cane or beet sugar, doesn't matter.  I've used it on like the past 40 batches with no problems.  Only thing to keep in mind is that you need a little less of it than you would for corn sugar.  For example, if you are used to using 3/4 cup corn sugar for 5 gallons, you only need about 80% as much table sugar, which works out to roughly 5/8 cup table sugar.  Not sure about weight as I've always measured by volume, with no problems whatsoever.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 07:16:34 am »
old habits die hard with me, but I have used table sugar when I have run out or low.  The difference is that corn sugar has about 8% moisture content, or more depending on how it is stored (and where you live).  Cane sugar doesn't absorb the moisture as readily (something in the order of 1%) that is why they are different.  The reason it is better to use weight over volume is that you can shake down a measure of sugar and the crystals will all align and compact.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 07:46:51 am »
Plain table sugar works great. 

+1

I recommend plain table sugar as it will ferment out 100%.
Ron Price

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:29:11 am »
Or you can just buy the 50lb sack or corn sugar from your LHBS.  Works for me.
Founding member, California Street Brewery