Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I think I messed up???  (Read 4626 times)

Offline lex82

• 1st Kit
Re: I think I messed up???
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 07:28:27 am »
In general, there is no need to transfer an ale to a secondary.
There is very little fermentation going on in a secondary fementor.
You can safely leave a beer on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks, probably longer.
Since you removed the beer from the yeast before it was completed, you are stuck.
You could make a one liter starter and pitch the whole thing once the starter is actively fermenting.
Its difficult to restart fermentation under these circumstances.

I think it was complete, I've been getting a steady gravity at 1.030 for over a week. Is making the starter the only way to try to restart fermentation?

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 02:30:52 pm »
Can you give us some timelines?
Like date of first yeast pitch, date of second pitch, date of transfer to "2nd fermentor" (in my earlier post I took that to mean secondary fermentor, maybe that's not what you meant), date(s) when you got a steady specific gravity of 1.03.
With some more information, someone may be able to come up with some suggestions.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 03:08:48 pm »
Can you give us your recipe too? It is possible that it could just be done, depending on the fermentability of the wort and/or the attenuation capability of the yeast.
Mark Gres

Offline lex82

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 05:25:57 pm »
Can you give us your recipe too? It is possible that it could just be done, depending on the fermentability of the wort and/or the attenuation capability of the yeast.
your exactly right, that is what my LHBS said. I altered a kit recipe and I was going by the original recipe's stats. Thanks for everyone's help and willing to fix what I thought was a problem.