Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle conditioning & Carbonation  (Read 2210 times)

Offline mlager

• Cellarman
    • CactiBrew
Bottle conditioning & Carbonation
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:45:22 am »
Does throwing a bottle into the fridge completely stop its ability to carbonate further, or will it just take longer? I've got a few bottles that arn't quite carbonated yet and I have to send them off to compeition today. They throw them into the fridge when they get them. Judging isn't until Feb 18, so they will be in the cold box for roughly 15 days.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Bottle conditioning & Carbonation
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:46:42 am »
It will just slow it down.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:02:12 pm »
But it will probably slow it down enough that it will not pick up much carbonation over the next couple of weeks.  It depends on the yeast.  I don't suppose this was a lager?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline mlager

• Cellarman
    • CactiBrew
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 12:06:22 pm »
Nope, it was a porter. WLP002. I don't suppose WLP002's "very high" floccuation characteristic will work in my favor either.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:19:14 pm »
Nope, it was a porter. WLP002. I don't suppose WLP002's "very high" floccuation characteristic will work in my favor either.

If it's any consolation my last two bottled batches with wlp002 were fully carbonated within one week at 65F.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 12:19:55 pm »
On the other hand, you can invert the bottles a few times to rouse the yeast and still be sure it will settle out within two weeks. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline mlager

• Cellarman
    • CactiBrew
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 12:22:09 pm »
Awesome, good suggestions. Thanks everyone!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 12:28:11 pm »
I don't know where these are shipping from/to, but you could throw a hand warmer in to the box to keep it warmer and carbonating while it's shipped.  Some of them last 12 hours, and if the box is well insulated it could keep it warm for a while.  As long as it doesn't get too hot - I have no idea how warm they get, but not hot enough to burn skin.  It's probably not worth the risk unless you have a good idea of what will happen.
Tom Schmidlin