General Category > Ingredients

can i prime with syrup?

(1/2) > >>

yoeman:
I have blue agave syrup and was wondering instead of priming sugar can i use blue agave syrup ?  ???

tschmidlin:
Yes.  Determine the sugar content, then calculate how much you need to add.  It should be fully fermentable.

Steve:
I used agave syrup in an American wheat beer as a fermentable and then used it for priming.  I wanted to get the Tequila essence.
The SG of Agave syrup is around 1.300. Other usual priming sugars are:  Munton's Light DME is 1.043;  Corn sugar is 1.038;  Table sugar is 1.046; Belgian clear Candi sugar is 1.046.  Honey is between 1.350-1.400. 

When I figured out how much agave I needed (not being a math whiz) I looked at the % difference between agave syrup and corn sugar (1.300 SG ÷ 1.038 SG = 1.25).   I measure my prime sugar by mass, not by the volume (¾ cup/5 gal) to get the Vol of CO² I want.  I would have used 113 g of corn sugar for to get around 2.2 vol CO².  I divided that by 1.25 and got  90.4 g of agave syrup.  I found the CO² level to be great for a wheat beer and the taste is great.

The beer had a medium mouthfeel with a medium finish, not to dry, not to sweet, but didn't have any Tequila essence. 

denny:
Steve, AFAIK both corn sugar and table sugar have the same number of gravity points, around 46.  Could you tell me where you got your numbers?

majorvices:

--- Quote from: yoeman on January 28, 2011, 03:55:19 PM ---I have blue agave syrup and was wondering instead of priming sugar can i use blue agave syrup ?  ???

--- End quote ---

I would just stick to plain table sugar or corn sugar. You most likely won't notice that small of an amount of agave syrup in 5 gallons of beer, so what's really the point? At least with regular sugar you will know what you are going to get as far as consistent results go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version