Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How Beer Saved the World  (Read 6593 times)

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
Re: How Beer Saved the World
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 02:07:38 pm »
I didn't really think of it as an hour long commercial for MillerCoors.  Yes, they advertised on it, and yes they showed a lot of their breweries.  No one here seemed to complain that Brew Masters was a DogFish Head infomercial.

I thought the was quite accurate. Micheal Jackson made the same points about Beer leading to the beginning of civilization. "Bread, Beer and the Seeds of Change" by Thomas and Carol Sinclair described the diet of pre-Industrial peoples as being mainly beer and bread, with the thesis that Civilization owes its existence to beer. Gregg Smith's book "Beer in America: The Early Years" said some of the same things the show did.  I didn't find anything factually incorrect.  Yes, they presented it in a humorous way, but if that makes thing inaccurate. . .

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 02:22:23 pm »
I didn't really think of it as an hour long commercial for MillerCoors.  Yes, they advertised on it, and yes they showed a lot of their breweries.  No one here seemed to complain that Brew Masters was a DogFish Head infomercial.

I thought the was quite accurate. Micheal Jackson made the same points about Beer leading to the beginning of civilization. "Bread, Beer and the Seeds of Change" by Thomas and Carol Sinclair described the diet of pre-Industrial peoples as being mainly beer and bread, with the thesis that Civilization owes its existence to beer. Gregg Smith's book "Beer in America: The Early Years" said some of the same things the show did.  I didn't find anything factually incorrect.  Yes, they presented it in a humorous way, but if that makes thing inaccurate. . .

All that is true.  I doubt there are many people on this forum who wouldn't already know most of the stuff and it was certainly presented with a sensationalist tone that seemed to be marketing to the Joe Sixpack crowd.  Beer may sell stuff as well as or better than sharks seems to be the thinking.
I couldn't stay tuned to it, other than to say, "hey I know that guy!" a couple times.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 04:53:35 pm »

The product placement, shots of the breweries, and some interviews of the head brewer all made me think that, along with the actual commercials being Miller Coors.  But I watched it all, and enjoyed it for the most part.

The Ben Franklin quote about beer has been proven erroneous.  The Pilgrims did not run out of beer, but the ships crew would have on the way back if they had gone to Virginia, so the pilgrims were put off early.  Johns Hopkins was John Hopkins, Emory was Emery, nitpics, I know.

Sam C. is the star of Brewmasters, so I expect lots of DFH.  For a show with no star and more of a documentary premise, I expected something different.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 09:34:35 pm »
I watched it.
It was entertaining.

One quote was "Lager beer has to be brewed cold"
And how true is that.

Next time I brew lager I will make sure that my boil is cold 212F instead if hot 212F.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 09:47:09 pm »
I enjoyed it.  Some of the stuff is a stretch to believe, but some other stuff, not so much.  It just goes to show what some companies will say to market their product, and what some consumers will believe.  I laugh every time I hear "Triple Hops Brewed Miller"... OR "Frost Brewed Coors."   
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 04:11:43 am »
If you missed it (or can't get it) you can download it here:
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/270017201/How+beer+saved+the+world?tab=summary
You'll need bittorrent. I have no qualms downloading this sort of thing as I have no other option available to me to pay for it.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 09:47:16 am »
Not sure if I'll like the book, but shoot, it's free.  Gotta love free Kindle books!

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 11:01:52 am »

The product placement, shots of the breweries, and some interviews of the head brewer all made me think that, along with the actual commercials being Miller Coors.  But I watched it all, and enjoyed it for the most part.

The Ben Franklin quote about beer has been proven erroneous.  The Pilgrims did not run out of beer, but the ships crew would have on the way back if they had gone to Virginia, so the pilgrims were put off early.  Johns Hopkins was John Hopkins, Emory was Emery, nitpics, I know.

Sam C. is the star of Brewmasters, so I expect lots of DFH.  For a show with no star and more of a documentary premise, I expected something different.

I know the Ben Franklin quote is not correct, but I still see them on t-shirts everywhere.  No biggie for me, since it's part of Pop Culture, like "Beam Me Up, Scotty" which was never said on the show.  I think by saying the crew would have run out of beer on the way home so the pilgrims were dropped off early means they didn't go to Virginia because they were running low on beer.  Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.  They didn't have enough beer, therefore.....

I expected more of Sammy C than the crew at the brewery, that's why I was so disappointed by Brew Masters.  I wanted more than Ace of Cakes in a Brewery. 

I thought the shots of the Miller Brewery to highlight how industrial beer production is was perfectly valid.  Yes, every shot in a store featured MillerCoors, but I spotted a lot of Sierra Nevada taps, too.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 11:44:51 am »
The corallary to "It must be true, I was it on the inernet."  is "It must be true, I've seen it on a t-shirt."

I have used this, really, I have.   ;)

Like I said, I watched it all.  The part about the historic tatracycline was pretty cool.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 12:56:05 pm »
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/270017201/How+beer+saved+the+world?tab=summary
You'll need bittorrent. I have no qualms downloading this sort of thing as I have no other option available to me to pay for it.

"Torrent has been censored as required by US court." Still there's always the piratebay...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 02:42:02 pm »
How much do you buy the thesis?  That beer really drove the agricultural revolution, etc.?
Member #: 900000767

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 07:36:20 pm »
How much do you buy the thesis?  That beer really drove the agricultural revolution, etc.?

How often do you look at something and then say to yourself, "I wonder if I can brew beer with that?"
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 12:35:31 am »

"Torrent has been censored as required by US court." Still there's always the piratebay...

Ah, I forgot that isohunt was blocked in the US. Sorry guys - but alikocho and others in Europe it should work for you.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 04:36:18 pm »
Ah, I forgot that isohunt was blocked in the US. Sorry guys - but alikocho and others in Europe it should work for you.

Where did you hear that? I'm in Fla and isohunt has never been blocked.
DLoading now at 721kBs

direct torrent link>
http://ca.isohunt.com/download/270017201/How+beer+saved+the+world.torrent

Fast DL and its a good copy.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:13:15 pm by uthristy »

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »
If you have a Kindle, the companion book by Charlie Bamforth is free today on Amazon.

Glad you posted this. I was able to get it free today (2/2/11).
I DVR'ed the show, but still haven't watched it.

Not sure if I'll like the book, but shoot, it's free.  Gotta love free Kindle books!

Yay! Free Kindle books! I think around 80% of the books I have on my Kindle are of the Free variety.
Tulsa, OK