Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: when to check pH of mash  (Read 4701 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
when to check pH of mash
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:40:27 am »
So I'm about to brew my first beer with modified water (75% distilled, 25% my own super-alkaline well water, and a bunch of salts, and also some acidulated malt). 

How soon after dough-in should I test the pH to see if I'm hitting what Kaiser's water spreadsheet says I should be hitting?  1 min? 5 min? 30 min?   Does it matter? 

I've checked my mash pH before, usually within 5mins of dough-in, but now I'll be mixing in salts and I'm wondering how long it takes for the pH to stabilize.

-red

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: when to check pH of mash
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:49:22 am »
I seem to remember hearing that 5 minutes should be about right.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:17:00 pm »
I do it about 5 min. in.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:18:35 pm »
I’d take one reading after 5-10 min and another one of the first wort. Mainly b/c I’m curious if you will see a change.

But that is also what I do.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 12:53:45 pm »
Lately I've been taking one at 5 min. and one when all the wort is in the kettle.  I've been finding them to be within about .1 of each other.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jlap

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:14:51 pm »
I check mine about 10 minutes in and often again at the end of the mash just for kicks.  In general it seems to be a bit lower toward the end, maybe .1 pH units.  I can't say this for sure with a wide range of grain bills but in general...

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 08:44:34 pm »
Once you mash in and get everything stired so the temperature is stable/uniform, take you sample and cool it.  You will be abourt 5, or more like 10 minutes in, like everyone says.   Don't worry too much if you take a little longer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 06:59:00 am »
thanks everyone. seems like we've reached a consensus!  (kinda rare for the forum, I know....  ;)  )

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 08:38:42 am »
thanks everyone. seems like we've reached a consensus!  (kinda rare for the forum, I know....  ;)  )

I know you're making a joke but, in fact, one thing that seems to set this forum apart from lots of the other homebrew forums is that fact that consensus is often reached.  And the tone here just seems more civil even when consensus isn't reached.
Joe

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 09:05:45 am »

I know you're making a joke but, in fact, one thing that seems to set this forum apart from lots of the other homebrew forums is that fact that consensus is often reached.  And the tone here just seems more civil even when consensus isn't reached.

+1 and amen to that

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 03:07:50 am »

+2. Credit to the moderators. I have had that job and know how it can (try to) get out of hand.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....